Touch ID doesn't show on 1Passport logon screen, after having been enabled (1Passport 7 MacBook Pro)

PeterAnthony
PeterAnthony
Community Member

After setting-up Touch ID on Mac and then enabling in 1Password (paper instructions), the fingerprint Touch ID option still does not appear on the 1Passport logon screen (main app or the extensions). Any suggestions, please?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @PeterAnthony! I'm sorry for the trouble. I don't know what "paper instructions" means, but let me direct you to the Touch ID instructions for Mac, and see if that helps any. If that's what you've already tried doing without success, can you tell me where things have been breaking down -- what steps you're taking, and what's not working the way you expect?

• Pedro_G
    Pedro_G
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hello,

After resetting the Keychain Access app on my MacBook Pro, I have lost use of the Touch ID login for 1Password7. I reset my Touch ID in Preferences in the Mac and switched off and on Touch ID in 1Password. Tried doing these with successive restarts to naval. Nothing has changed. Any other suggestions? My updates are up to date. Thank you very much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Pedro_G! If you've altered the login keychain on your Mac, or imported user accounts from previous setups via Migration Assistant or Time Machine, this can happen. Can I ask: what did you mean by "resetting keychain access?"

• Pedro_G
    Pedro_G
    Community Member

Hello Lars and thank you for your response.

I had lost access to the Keychain so I used "Reset my default keychains" in the Keychain Preferences. This in essence deleted all my entries and started a new set. No other application suffered from this except, of course, having to retype all the passwords that were stored there and I lost.

Thanks again and sorry for this inconvenience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pedro_G - thanks for the confirmation. You can read a little more about why we may be the only app on your Mac thusly affected in this post, but the bottom line here is that you'll need to get rid of that keychain, and let macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will "reset" the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. We'll need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following if you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive first; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain:

• Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    • Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case you need to recover any of its data. Let me know how that works for you.

• Pedro_G
    Pedro_G
    Community Member

IT WORKED!!!

Thank you very much, Lars!

I wish you a great Holiday Season and a Very Happy New Year!

All the best!

Pedro

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pedro_G - hey, all right! I'm glad to hear that solved the issue you were having. Have a great rest of your week and a happy holiday season. :)

This discussion has been closed.