Feature request: ability to add new member to groups before they accept invitation

Currently the workflow for onboarding a new employee on 1Password for teams seems to be:

1. Send invite for employee to join 1Password team.
  2. Wait for employee to start work, then wait for them to accept invitation.
  3. Edit their group memberships.

Point 3 creates unnecessary outstanding work for sysadmins to manage in their todo lists. Especialy if you try to be pro-active, and set an employee's credentials up before their first day of work.

It would be great if one could manage a prospective new team member's group memberships at the point when one sends them their invite.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pjnagel - have you (or your sysadmins) looked into the 1Password command line interface? Depending on what kind of other directory systems you have set up, it can really streamline the process, and might be just what you're looking for.

• pjnagel
    pjnagel
    Community Member

@lars - thanks for pointing that out, it looks great.

But I think we misunderstand each other. I'm not talking about which tool the admin uses to set up group memberships.

I'm talking about the fact that you cannot onboard an employee and have everything set up before the employee arrives, you have to make a task in your to-do list to set up their group memberships after they accepted invitation, then wait for them to arrive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pjnagel: Ah, I see. And I can appreciate why that would be nice. But I don't believe something like that is possible. Until the user sets up their account, they have no encryption keys or access to others -- both of which would be necessary for the key exchange involved in groups, since the shared vaults associated with that are encrypted.

• pjnagel
    pjnagel
    Community Member

Yeah, I can appreciate if the current design of the system doesn't make it possible.

This is just a nice-to-have anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It would certainly be cool. Perhaps we can do something like that one day. Thanks for the nudge! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.