Add option to view maximum entropy in bits based on password recipe

spaceman_spiff
spaceman_spiff
Community Member

Currently 1P provides a small circle indicator to give an indication of password strength. The issue with that is it makes a value judgement (weak, fantastic, etc) based on criteria that the 1P authors have chosen. That is useful in its own right, but alongside that friendly advice from 1P I would like to have an estimate of the maximum entropy that could be achieved based on the password recipe that was used, e.g., 80 bits. This lets me be a little more precise in setting a minimum complexity threshold for especially sensitive sites, for example. I understand not every user may want such a thing, I'd be happy enough to have it as an option under the Advanced tab of 1P preferences with the Jedi droid guy. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:show entropy bits

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spaceman_spiff - shouldn't you be out chasing space monsters somewhere? ;)

Seriously, though, you're correct that this isn't something a lot of users would be interested in -- though I'm certain you're not the only one, either. I'll definitely mention the idea to the dev team, but I feel duty-bound to warn you that we put a pretty high bar for adding yet another toggle/preference/checkbox to 1Password. We work harder than it might seem to strike a balance between a product that's powerful and useful enough for serious power users while not being so festooned with cryptic advanced features that it's incomprehensible to (and therefore off-putting for) newbies. It's a moving target, and not always easy to know what the best approach is, but I can certainly see how that might be helpful. Thanks for suggesting it! :)

• spaceman_spiff
    spaceman_spiff
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Lars nice, a Spaceman Spiff reference! :) Space monster business has been slow which is what let me think about bits instead lol.

I’ll tell you a compromise that would be still great in my view and easily achievable is if you guys documented what the thresholds are for your various strength levels somewhere on the website. I.e., Fantastic corresponds to >= 60 bits, etc.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spaceman_spiff - that's not a bad idea at all -- I'll pass it along. To let you know, tweaking the password generator a bit is one of the things on our radar screen, so now's a good time to get those ideas in. I don't have anything to share regarding progress or where we're headed exactly, but I'll definitely include your wishes. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.