Changing email on Family account requires signing in again on apps

lilyball
lilyball
Community Member

I just changed the email address used for my Families account. Surprisingly, as soon as I did so, the Mac 1Password app immediately prompted me, saying I needed to sign in again, but it had actually noticed my email address changed and filled the new email address into the window. I just had to type my master password again and sign in.

Given that the app noticed my email address changed, it's rather surprising to me that I had to actually sign in again instead of having it just transparently update the email address listed.

The same issue occurred with the iOS app.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

I would assume as with all things relate to 1Password its part of the security protocols. In that if someone had a compromised device (stole etc) even a simple change of the email would required a re authentication. I will go out o a limb and 100% say its by design.

I am sure the staff will have more to say,

Tom

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kballard - yep, @thightower FTW! Because we actually use your email address as part of the encryption key-derivation process, the minute you change it, the keys currently in use by any of the apps you've signed into your account with don't match the new one you created by changing your email address. Hence the prompt.

This discussion has been closed.