[Feature Request] Better ways to handle one-time password expiration

zzyzxd
zzyzxd
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

1password immediately sends one-time password to clipboard and starts counting the 30 seconds when it fills the login form. However, that password in the clipboard is highly unlikely to remain valid during the entire 30 seconds window. Besides, it can take several seconds to submit username/password and wait for the website to display the one-time password form. By the time I paste the one-time password and submit manually, it is possible that the password is already expired. Maybe I just have bad luck but it happens a lot to me. And I don't enjoy the experience that I have to open the 1password app, navigate to the specific login item and copy the password.

I can think of several ways to workaround this:

• Provide another keyboard shortcut that sends the current valid one-time password for the current website to the clipboard.
  • Keep refreshing the one-time password in the clipboard until any one of these conditions meets: 1. the 30 seconds window is closed. 2. 1password detects that the current clipboard content is not what it filled at last checkpoint (means the clipboard has been overwritten by the user or other processes).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zzyzxd - thanks for the suggestions. ⇧^⌘C (shift-control-command-c) will copy the one-time password of the item to the clipboard. I'm also not sure why you're running into this as often as you are; most websites will keep not only the current one-time password but also the previous one in memory and accept either one, for reasons you just enumerated (lags between when you copy it and when you're able to paste and enter it). Some websites are stricter, but most are not...however, I suppose your mileage may vary depending on the sites you use TOTP on. However, if you're getting that kind of behavior consistently across multiple websites, it may be a system clock issue as well -- you might want to check to make sure your system clock is accurate. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.