1Password prompts to save login when login already exists

dmbrown
dmbrown
Community Member

There is an issue wherein 1Password prompts to save a login when it already has one for the website and I use Safari's autofill. Here are the steps:
1. Go to a website for which both 1Password and Safari have previously stored passwords.
2. Click in the login or password field and use Safari's autofill to enter the username and password.
3. Click on "Ok", "Login", or whatever the button is named.
4. Safari logs you into the site.
5. 1Password prompts to Unlock 1Password - see the attached screenshot.

This behavior persists until I use that prompt to unlock 1Password, after which a new window appears asking if I want to update the existing password or create a new one - I can cancel that window.

I want to emphasize that this behavior occurs when the password already exists in 1Password, so updating is not required.I saw what seemed to be the same question in the post entitled "1PW asks if I want to update when I haven't changed anything" from October 31, 2018, but that discussion seemed to go off course from the original question as it began discussing the scenario wherein there is not an existing password established for the site.

I am relatively certain this began when I updated to macOS 10.14 and 1Password to the "stand alone" version, i.e. no browser extension.

Specs:
macOS 10.14.1
Password 7, Version 7.2.1 (70201002), AgileBits Store
In 1Password preferences: "Show 1Password in the menubar" is disabled; "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" and "Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them" are both enabled.
Safari Version 12.0.1 (14606.2.104.1.1)
Sync: iCloud

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dpdapper
    dpdapper
    Community Member

I have the same issue: 1Password keeps displaying a popup asking if I want to save a password when I've just used 1Password to enter the password! Very annoying. However, unlike the OP, I have not disabled the 1Password icon in the menu bar of my browser (Firefox 63.0.1).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmbrown - I'm sorry for the confusion. There are two parts to this issue. The first is that, if you have not unlocked 1Password, there's no way for it to "know" what you have saved or do not have saved, so you'll always be prompted to unlock in such a case. This is expected behavior, and won't (can't, securely) be changed.

The second part of the issue is that pop-up you get to save the site, when it's already been saved. That qualifies as a bug, and it's something we're already aware of and looking to remedy (though I have nothing to announce regarding it currently).

However, there's still one more part of this, which is that we strongly recommend users turn off the built-in password manager in their browser(s), partly for this very reason: it can cause confusion for the user as well as interference between the two if you don't. All modern browsers include a rudimentary password manager because they have to. Not all people who user browsers are users of robust password managers like 1Password, so the browser developers include a built-in mechanism for folks who don't already have a password management solution. But because you DO, it's recommended to allow 1Password to do this work, not have it constantly be fight with the browser's solution for your attention. In the case above, if you'd used 1Password to fill this data, you would not even have discovered any of the rest of this because it would have been a non-issue.

• dmbrown
    dmbrown
    Community Member

Lars - thank you for the response. I understand the security issue with part one - that 1Password needs to be unlocked before it can "know" what's "inside". In the past, using the Safari Extension if I'm not mistaken, this wasn't necessary. While it's not a big deal to enter the password, I would prefer that 1Password allow the used to determine it 1Password can function without signing in.
    As for your recommendation to disable Safari's password manager, I continue to use it because I find its implementation faster than that of 1Password. I continue to use 1Password in order to take advantage of other features it offers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmbrown - thanks for the feedback. There are ways in which a password manager that's built into the browser itself and developed by the OS developer, will always have a leg up on anything else in terms of integration with the OS and therefore perceived speed. Our recommendation to turn it off stems from too many reports of people not really understanding which prompts are coming from which apps, and winding up saving some things into 1Password and other things into the browser's password manager, then wondering why some things seem to be not saved in some places, etc... it's just a recipe for confusion and potentially even data loss in worst-case scenarios. Used carefully, that doesn't happen inevitably...but we've seen far too many instances of it to do anything but recommend people turn off their browser's built-in password manager.

This discussion has been closed.