1password 7.2.1 will not work at all on Safari Browser 12.0.1

Mrbee
Mrbee
Community Member

Using version 7.2.1 and 12.0.1 and MacOS 10.14.1 Mojave and neither the MacOS 1password version or mini will work. it will not auto fill, it will not open and fill. It will work on other browsers like Chrome and Firefox but, not Safari. I have been a 1Password user for 4 years or so and never had a problem. Safari is my main/default browser so this is a real PIA.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There have been changes in the Safari extension due to decisions by Apple. It's at least possible that the current Safari extension (7.2.1, same as the program itself) has not been enabled. Take a look, and see if that helps.

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

I have extension 4.7.3 installed and checked. Is there a more up to date version? If so I cannot find it...

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you are using 1PW 7.2.1 there should be a 7.2.1 extension showing. It does not need a separate installation.

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

I had to download the program from your site that included the new extension. now its working. No way to find ext 7.2.1 and install it in safari and get it working for me. Now it's good. THX

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Mrbee! I'm sorry for the trouble. As @danco has already pointed out, substantial changes by Apple in Safari 12 have resulted in all versions of 1Password from 7.2 onward shipping with the Safari App Extension that has a version number that matches the app version number. There is no way to use the earlier extension (4.7.3.90) with 7.2 onwards, and no way to separately install the new 7.2.x extension. It does not work the same way as you're used to. The Safari extension for version 7.2.x is installed when you install the app itself. It sounds like you're all sorted out here, but let us know if you have any further questions or difficulties. Cheers! :)

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

Glad this was put in writing because for anyone having the same issue, the ONLY way to get it working is to reinstall the program from a new download. I never thought I would have to do that. THX

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mrbee - I'm glad you got it working again, but you shouldn't need to re-download and re-install to get it that way. Usually quitting 1Password 7 for Mac completely, removing the older 4.7.3.90 extension and restarting your Mac will do it.

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

Similar problem here. After installing 7.2.2 with Safari 12.0.1, 1PW won’t fill using the icon at the top. The screen just brightens and nothing happens. So, to be clear, what exactly is the fix??

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

I found a Mac restart was required to make 7.2.2 work with Safari 12.0.1.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that restarting get Safari to recognize the new app extension. Cheers! :)

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

same issue is happening again. No extension and requires download of application again. This is a problem..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mrbee: Can you be more specific? What steps are you taking, and what is "happening again" that's causing you trouble? It will also be important to know the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using. Thanks in advance!

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

Ok, normally when you use the mini icon at the top of the screen or the main program icon, you have the ability to open and fill a website. When I try to do so I am prompted to turn on the 1password extension and activate it. No such extension exists even though I have installed it a dozen times before. No way to actually load it in via the Apple store or download. In order to get it back I had to (in the past) go to the 1password website and download/install the program all over again. I did not do it this time as I wanted to show the forum what's going on and to see if there is a different solution. Maybe updates to Safari are causing this break in the chain or something else. Please try and figure this out. I am on the fence about cancelling my subscription as this is become far too common now. THX

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

I left the OS, 1password version and browser in the first post of this thread.

Mojave 10.14.1, Safari 12.0.1, 1password 7.2.2

• Good morning @Mrbee. I’m terribly sorry for the trouble you’re having with 1Password in Safari. We’ve recently made some changes to our troubleshooting tool to help us sort out these issues. Do me a favor and download it from https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/, create a new report, and email to support+roo@1password.com. I’ll take a look and see what we can figure out.

• Mrbee
    Mrbee
    Community Member

I sent you the logs and followed up with an email days later. No one has gotten back to me.

• Thanks for the logs, @Mrbee , I will take a look just as soon as I can.

This discussion has been closed.