Turning off the red bar on top about duplicate passwords How to do that?

VictoriaJZ
VictoriaJZ
Community Member

This red warning of a reused password pops up on every entry - not only those which I know to be duplicates but even those which are not = and I frankly don't want it popping up all the time = I know I need to improve my passwords and this is not helping. Can I turn it off?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Agilebits
Referrer: forum-search:Turning off the red bar on top about duplicate passwords

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VictoriaJZ - no, not currently. I would recommend you update to the just-released 7.2.2, since it contains a few fixes for the re-used passwords banner, including no longer flagging duplicated items as re-used (only passwords that are re-used with different URLs). Let me know how that works for you. If you truly are re-using passwords, then no, that's what this banner is actually for: to remind you.

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member

No I don't use re-used passwords == there are perhaps parts of some passwords that repeat but not the whole...I'll download 7.2.2 and see if that helps. That may correct the issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VictoriaJZ - it may also be the case that if you recently switched from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership, you may have left your old, no-longer-needed Primary vault in place, which would result in every item being duplicated, since part of the conversion process copies your data into the 1password.com vault. But if you then don't remove the older standalone vault, you have duplicates of everything. Could that be the case?

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member

I think that is the case....because on my iPhone I have two of everything == so, can I just delete everything on my various machines and then apps and reinstall the apps and have them access the info in the subscription = I want to get things in good order and this seems the way to do it = and yes, I have multiple backups just in case.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VictoriaJZ - yes. On any iOS devices, it's probably faster to simply delete 1Password for iOS, reinstall it, and sign into your account. On your Mac, you can click Preferences > Advanced and UNcheck the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will remove your Primary vault as well. If you had other standalone vaults as well, you'll need to remove those first; Primary must always be last.

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member

Sorry about the double post == final Q = the vault that I think is on the subscription is called Personal == I have two "On my Mac" - one Primary and one 2018 Cleaned == I know I can trash the 'cleaned' one = but you said the Primary should always be the last to be deleted??? I take it that on my Mac[s] I should do as. you indicate and uncheck the box and basically remove all vaults or should I save the Personal one and just remove the others?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VictoriaJZ

the vault that I think is on the subscription is called Personal.

Right. Unless you specifically named a vault "Personal" on your own, this will be the case. You can verify by checking that the Personal vault is indented underneath an account with your name.

I know I can trash the 'cleaned' one = but you said the Primary should always be the last to be deleted???

It has to be, based on the way 1Password works. We're not going to be deleting or touching your Personal vault. But in standalone 1Password, your Primary vault is, well, primary -- you can create as many secondary vaults as you desire, but they are always in a subordinate position to Primary. Primary is the first (default) vault to be created, and it cannot be deleted if you still have other standalone vaults. Any secondary vaults must be deleted first (via the Vault menu - switch to each secondary vault, the choose Vault > Delete (name) Vault. Once you're down to just the Primary vault (and of course the Personal vault which you're keeping), then open Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will remove your Primary vault and you'll be left with nothing but your Personal vault from your 1Password account (which is what you want).

On any other Macs you have that are using the same setup, remove all the local vaults in the same way - secondaries first, then Primary, and you'll have the same setup. For iOS devices, just delete the 1Password app altogether, then re-install it from the App Store and on first run, sign into your 1password.com account.

• randy_medd
    randy_medd
    Community Member

I'm getting duplicates flagged showing, in one case, the generated Password entry, and in the other, the Login item where I applied that password. This makes no sense - the Password entry isn't a login-enabled item. I'm not going to "convert to login", as it's already reflected in a Login item. This was caused simply by my having to update an expired password - I use the password generator to do this, which automatically creates the Password entry, and then edit/paste the new password into the Login item. Yes, there are two objects with the same value, but I really don't see how this qualifies for a warning. I'm running 1Password 7, Version 7.2.2 (70202006), and see no configuration option to disable these warnings.

Also, I'm not using the subscription method - I host my vault on Dropbox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@randy_medd - I'm sorry for the inconvenience. However, if I understood you correctly, that's not the recommended method of generating passwords and making them Logins. If you do it that way, you're essentially short-circuiting the process whereby 1Password for Mac identifies that you've created a password that's associated with a particular Login (or which you wish to convert into/create a Login). If you have a site that requires you to regularly change passwords, first, you should consider sending them a suggestion that says you're using a strong password that you don't disclose to others and that therefore does not need to be changed regularly, and they should consider changing this now-deprecated “security” measure. But assuming that's not something they're going to do, so you have to deal with it, these are the recommended steps for changing your passwords. If you've created a new Password item manually, then copied its value into an existing Login item, then you do indeed have two unrelated items with the same password, and 1Password isn't (from a technical perspective) "wrong" to flag them as such. However, changing your password in the way outlined at the link above should serve to eliminate that issue in the future. Hope that helps! :)

• randy_medd
    randy_medd
    Community Member

@Lars thanks, but the password-change process is a work requirement. Every 6 months we're required to set a new password, regardless as to its strength. I read elsewhere that the easier solution here is to simply remove the generated Password entry after its value has been copied to the existing Login item. However, I still contend that it doesn't make that much sense to check the generated password list as a source of possible duplicates. These are not duplicates in the sense that they're being used on multiple sites. If I'd used the new password in more than one Login, fine, but not if it's only present in a single definition.

IMO, https://support.1password.com/change-website-password should be augmented to include a final step to delete the generated password if the change process isn't web-based, as is my case. My company (Adobe) uses an application to perform the password-update process, and 1PW doesn't directly interact with it, so I have to manually perform the generate-new-password step and then copy/paste the new value into the app's input form. I then manually edit the Login item, pasting-in the just-created password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@randy_medd - thanks for clarifying your particular use-case. I agree, in your situation, it's more of a chore/potential issue. And we'll certainly consider adding an extra line or two to the instructions. But this is also a pretty unique edge-case, and we don't tend to document for such things, mostly because of the confusion it can potentially create for users to whom it does not apply. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.