how to use 2 factor authentication

BillW78
BillW78
Community Member

Do I use the same code number of each site?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to use 2 factor authentication

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BillW78 - if you're asking how to use the TOTP feature to sign into various sites that have it enabled, please see these instructions. If you're referring to enabling two-factor authentication for a 1password.com account, you can enable that using these instructions. Hope that helps! :)

• BillW78
    BillW78
    Community Member

Thanks. I thought it was the first one but I see I may need the second also? Is there an overview of this whole topic available? I am having trouble visualizing what is going on. And what does "TOTP" stand for?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@BillW78 - I don't have any larger overview than the two links I provided in my earlier post. TOTP stands for "Time-based One Time Password." That refers to the six-digit code that's generated by your device which must match the one generated by the server, for various websites. You set those up using the site's procedures (as outlined in that previous link).

You will NOT need 2FA to access 1Password if you don't have a 1Password membership, as 2FA is only available for 1password.com accounts. If you're using 1Password in standalone mode, it's not even available, since all your data is stored locally anyway; there is no authentication required or even possible. Even if you do have a 1password.com account, you're not required to enable 2FA on it, and in fact, if you're having trouble understanding how it works or how to use it, there is a possibility you could lock yourself out of your own account, if you lose access to the 2FA app/device you pair with your 1Password account. Do you have a 1Password.com account?

• milleron
    milleron
    Community Member

Bill,
    I'm using 1Password 6.8.8, and Preferences indicates that it's being continuously synced with iCloud. Are you telling me that "all . . . data is being stored locally" and that nothing is being stored in or synced to iCloud?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@milleron - no, if you've set up sync, then your data is indeed being synced using iCloud (if that's what you set up). But it is NOT a 1password.com account, and therefore you cannot enable 2FA for your 1Password data -- that's why those instructions say "Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account" -- because you need a 1password.com account to be able to do this. If you are using standalone data that was created on your local device, and advanced 3rd party sync like Dropbox or iCloud, you do not have a 1password.com account, and you cannot enable 2FA for your data.

• milleron
    milleron
    Community Member

Lars,
    Roger. Sorry for misunderstanding. This makes perfect sense, as edits I make on on one of my Macs or iOS devices do seem to be passed rapidly to 1Password on others. I was worried for a second after reading your post, though.
    Now, if 1Password data and settings are being synced through iCloud, can you tell me why nothing referring to 1Password can be seen on iCloud.com or iCloud Drive. I'm sure it's there, but I'm just curious about why nothing is shown when viewing iCloud.
    Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@milleron - hey, no worries! 1Password's had a lot of changes and new things happening in the past couple of years, and sometimes it's hard to keep up with what's where -- even for us, and we do this all day long.

The answer to your follow-up question regarding iCloud Drive has to do with how Apple changed iCloud, back in late 2014. Before that, as you probably recall, it was the "Documents & Data" format, but the change was to the newer iCloud Drive format. This was a big step forward in many ways, but it also included something most users didn't know -- because they never see it, and that's CloudKit. CloudKit is essentially the companion to iCloud Drive, but for developers. Whenever you have an app that uses what is essentially a database format for their app's data (as we do), they'll be using CloudKit. Developers write it into the app, and it's stored in your iCloud account, but there is no "user-accessible" front end to it, EXCEPT in the app in question. You can't see this data in iCloud Drive or at iCloud.com, but it's there - as you've already seen with your 1Password data. Think of iCloud Drive as the user-accessible file-structure (Photos, etc), while CloudKit is for database stuff like your 1Password data.

• milleron
    milleron
    Community Member

Lars,
    THANKS very much for that very clear explanation! I had no idea how this is all done, and that's fascinating.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@milleron - you're quite welcome! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.