sync all devices

mlw14405
mlw14405
Community Member

I somehow have two vaults on my iPhone XS (personal and primary) and want to merge to one and sync with MacBook, iPad. I am currently syncing over iCloud but the personal vault isn't showing up on MacBook and iPad.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I somehow have two vaults on my iPhone XS, want to merge to one and sync with MacBook, iPad

Comments

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

1password version is 7
    iOS version on iPhone is 12.1
    macbook version Mojave

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mlw14405! I'm sorry for the trouble. The two vaults you have are this - Primary is your older, standalone, iCloud-synced vault that you have had since you began using 1Password. The Personal vault is part of your 1password.com membership account, which you created at some point along the way. If you're using a 1password.com account, that's the vault you're going to want to keep.

The first thing to make absolutely sure of is that you can sign into your 1password.com account. On your Mac, visit https://my.1password.com and try signing into your account that way. You'll need your account credentials, all of which (except your Master Password) can be found in 1Password for iOS under Settings > 1Password accounts > (name of account). If you're able to sign in using a browser, proceed with the below instructions. If not, let me know.

What I'd do is make sure you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your Personal vault. That may already be the case, or you may need to use these instructions to move any items from Primary into Personal first. Once you're certain you have a complete copy of your 1Password data in your Personal vault in 1Password for iOS, you can then tap Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault and you'll be left running only your 1password.com account's Personal vault. You can then, on your iPad, just delete 1Password for iOS and re-install it from the App Store, then on first-run, simply sign into your 1password.com account. On your Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data, which will remove all the current standalone data and on next launch allow you to sign in with your 1password.com account credentials. Let me know how you get on! :)

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

I can't sign in on my Mac using my email, secret key and master password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlw14405 - OK, glad we checked that first. When you created your 1password.com account, it would have required you to create a Master Password. This Master Password might have been the same one you've been using in standalone 1Password (your Primary vault) on your iPhone and elsewhere. But you could have chosen a different one as well. Do you remember what you did? You can get the Secret Key from within 1Password for iOS on your iPhone, but only you would know your Master Password. Do you remember if you used the same one when you created the 1password.com account, or a different one?

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

I thought I used the same one?

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

ok, I did use a different pw and was able to log in. I was also able to move (from my phone) items from my primary vault to my personal vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlw14405 - well, in that case, I'd recommend trying out the steps in this troubleshooting guide to see if you can get it to work. If you can't sign into your account in a browser, then we'll have to transfer your data OUT of the account on your iPhone, delete the account, create a new one, and finally re-transfer stuff back into it. Let me know how it goes.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlw14405 - ah, great -- our messages seem to have crossed in the internets. ;)

Go ahead and delete your Primary vault, then -- and do the same on all your other devices, using the instructions I gave in my earlier reply. Let me know if you run into any problems.

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

will do. thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• mlw14405
    mlw14405
    Community Member

all working good now. so what is the advantage of using 1password.com? because it stores data in the cloud and seamlessly sinks all devices? also guess I will not need my old 1password password for the initial primary vault since I am now using 1password.com? thanks for your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlw14405 - there are several advantages to a 1password.com membership, including seamless sync, easy expansion to sharing with a family, iterative, per-item backups, and a lot more (see that link for the highlights). Yes, you will no longer need the previous Master Password -- though if you preferred that one, you can always change it, either in 1Password for Mac or in a browser at 1password.com -- you would have to change it on all your devices after doing that, but it's easily-enough done.

This discussion has been closed.