Sync between new 1Password and Older version

Options
2»

Comments

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I can't seem to edit my question -- I meant to say I have 2 vaults not 12!

• CharleyM
    CharleyM
    Community Member
    Options

In just upgraded to a membership for v. 7 on my iMac and made a new master password. I have version 6 with 800 items in it. The setup on my Mac dod not import anything from v. 6, did not ask me to delete it, nothing. Acts as if it isn't there.

I also have 1Password on my iPad and iPhone, both running iOs 12.1. I added the new account to each, but apparently they are older v versions as they still need their old passwords.

I'm lost.

• CharleyM
    CharleyM
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. iMac is running High Sierra, v. 10.13.6

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

and what's the difference between Personal and Primary Vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

and what's the difference between Personal and Primary Vault?

@vmrdia: A Personal/Private vault is part of a 1Password.com account. Primary is a local vault stored only on the device.

Hi again - one more question.. I eliminated the "personal" vault on my IOS devices and just have primary (iCloud) - no more doubles (personal said "imported from 1password 6 - so I'm guessing that was the right one to delete) BUT I still have 12 vaults on my new MB Air -- personal and iCloud, which one do I delete so that all will still sync with my older computer. I'm guessing "personal" but hope you can confirm that's the right thing to do

That depends on what you're planning to use going forward: a 1Password.com membership, or the standalone app (where you'd need to sync the data yourself). Let me know and we'll go from there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In just upgraded to a membership for v. 7 on my iMac and made a new master password. I have version 6 with 800 items in it. The setup on my Mac dod not import anything from v. 6, did not ask me to delete it, nothing. Acts as if it isn't there.

@CharleyM: The app has no way of knowing about an account or existing data if you haven't added it there. What do you have setup in 1Password 7? Your original local vault? Or your new 1Password.com account?

I also have 1Password on my iPad and iPhone, both running iOs 12.1. I added the new account to each, but apparently they are older v versions as they still need their old passwords. I'm lost.

It sounds like you still have the old Primary vault setup in 1Password on those devices. 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. If you sign into your account on 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of your data there?

https://start.1password.com

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I sign in to 1Password in the app not my web browser. But when I do sign in on the browser all my stuff is there in the Personal Vault.

I had 2 vaults on everything. One Primary (iCloud which is how I sync) and one Personal (Virginia Diaz).. I rolled the dice and got rid of the Personal on on IOS.
    However, I just checked and on my iPad all that's listed is the Personal Vault in Vaults and in Accounts it lists www.iPassword.com.
    On my iPhone it says all vaults - 1 vault and that's the Personal one. Then it says on iCloud Primary and always Open to Primary. There are no doubles on either IOS device.
    The MacBook Air lists both vaults- Personal and Primary and I have doubles of everything. I know I have 7 on the Air and I have signed into the account on all the devices except the MBP. That is running El Capitan so, as I understand it, not must stay with Version 6. I'm guessing I need to eliminate one of the vaults on my Air. Should I eliminate the Personal vault? Will everything still sync to my MBP? Is all this info in iCloud now? I sure hope not. And I still don't understand the difference between Personal and Primary. They have the same info with a couple of exceptions. The Personal Vault has 3 more items than the Primary. I intend to use. both computers so I need everything to sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But when I do sign in on the browser all my stuff is there in the Personal Vault.

@vmrdia: Great! That makes things really simple then. Please forget the rest and do the following:

1. Save a copy of your Emergency Kit if you haven't already: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/
    2. Reset the app on your devices: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/
    3. Setup 1Password on each device with only your 1Password.com account, since that has all of your data: https://support.1password.com/add-account/

Then you'll have the same setup, and all of your stuff, across your devices. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.. this includes the olde computer, right?

• CharleyM
    CharleyM
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I read that in setting up the new subscription on my Mac, it would scan and find any old vaults and ask me to import them.

In 1Password 7 I have a vault called personal that somehow imported 128 items from my 1P 6 vault but I don't those particular items were chosen. When I added the new 1P 7 account on my iPad, for a while it said it was copying to the new account then stopped. I don't know how to start it again. 1P 6 with all the old data is also on the same iMac as the new 1P 7.

Also, my old vault has been syncing via Dropbox, so its all there too.

The iPhone and iPad both still open with the old master and have all the data.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

do I have to go through all this on 2 computers an iPhone and an iPad when its all working except for doubles on the Air? I've printed out all the instructions. I have already saved the emergency kit instructions. I'm pretty tired of this. You do know that one phone call could save a lot of trouble.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

what have you done to me?! I followed the instructions you sent and now it doesn't work!

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I restarted the computer and now I have doubles again! WTH?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks.. this includes the olde computer, right?

@vmrdia: If all of the data you need is in the account, then yes, it's best to setup all your devices with only that account, as we'll see later...

do I have to go through all this on 2 computers an iPhone and an iPad when its all working except for doubles on the Air? I've printed out all the instructions. I have already saved the emergency kit instructions. I'm pretty tired of this. You do know that one phone call could save a lot of trouble.

Nope. I can't setup your devices for you over the phone. And frankly it isn't feasible to give instructions with videos and screenshots, or communicate diagnostic information that way either. So that's definitely not the way to go.

what have you done to me?! I followed the instructions you sent and now it doesn't work!

No. You either didn't follow the instructions exactly, or you gave me inaccurate information earlier. Nothing I can do about that, unfortunately. :(

I restarted the computer and now I have doubles again! WTH?!

It sounds like you've got a Primary (local) vault still, with the same data as the account's Personal/Private vault. Hence the "duplicates". If you follow the instructions I gave you above, you'll only have the account setup on all your devices, so only its Personal vault, no additional vaults with the same data:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/475983/#Comment_475983

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CharleyM: Having multiple copies of 1Password, especially different versions, on the same computer, can cause a lot of confusion. It isn't recommended. If you have all of the data in your Dropbox vault, the best thing to do would be this:

1. Open 1Password 7 on your Mac
    2. Switch to your account's Personal/Private vault (NOT Primary)
    3. Select All -- Command A -- and Trash the items -- Command Delete
    4. Switch to the Primary vault
    5. Go to Help > Tools > Migrate standalone vault to account
    6. Follow the prompts to remove the original vault afterward
    7. Verify that you see all of your data when signing into 1Password.com in your browser: https://start.1password.com
    8. Save your Emergency Kit: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/
    9. Reset the app on your other devices: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/
    10. Setup all your devices with only your 1Password.com account: https://support.1password.com/add-account/

If you have any questions or get stuck, just let me know the specifics and we'll go from there. :)

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

ok. - I don't know what happened but its fixed. I din't do a thing. I did go though the steps you outlined the other day which is why I was surprised to see 2 vaults.. I just opened iPassword and only the Personal Vault is there - no primary and there are no duplicates.. last night I checked my iPad Pro and it was also just showing the Personal (account) vault). I just have to check the older computer now and set up the account there . It's running 6 but hopefully that won't be a problem,

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I just signed into the account on the old Mac.. the personal account is there fine. it gave me a choice to select which account to use - I chose personal and made it the default account. there are no doubles but I can switch from personal to primary manually. I assume I should delete primary? Remember this is 1Password 6 so I'm not erasing anything till I hear from you guys

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vmrdia: If all of the data you want is present in the Personal vault, then yes I would recommend removing the Primary vault (which is not an account, and not part of one). You will see "doubles" if you view both vaults together. You can disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced, and that will remove the Primary vault.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

ok. thanks. - finally its all working correctly. thanks fr all your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear it! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.