1Password won't fill in usernames, passwords or CC info

dgwebs
dgwebs
Community Member

Hi,

I purchased 1Password in 2014 and was currently running Version 6.8.9 (689000), purchase from the Mac App Store. It was running on my 2015 iMac/Mojave.

Over the weekend I reformatted and reinstalled Mojave and now I am having a problem with 1Password. It opens and all my login, secure notes and everything else is there. However, It will not fill in usernames and passwords on websites. I installed the 1Password extension in Safari, Chrome and Firefox with the same results. If I click the 1Passord extension icon on any of the browsers nothing happens. If I click the icon in my menu bar, the dropdown is there it does not seem to recognize the website. The first item listed in the dropdown is Favorites. If I click on any of the Favorites, it goes to the URL but doesn’t fill anything in.

I tried restarting my computer, opening 1Password, opening the browser (Safari), uninstalling the extension, closing and restarting Safari and reinstalling the extension. Still no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

I did contact Agilebits support Tuesday night and got the auto-reply but still no communication from them.

Thanks,
David

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

Quick update: I uninstalled the 1Password browser extension from Safari, Chrome and Firefox, quite all three browsers, restarted them and reinstalled the browser extensions. Now, it works with Chrome but still doesn't work with Safari or Firefox.

• SolarFlare
    SolarFlare
    Community Member

I have the same problem running Safari Technology Preview Release 70 (Safari 12.1, WebKit 14607.1.13) with Mojave Beta Version 10.14.2 Beta (18C48a) and 1 Password 7 Beta Version 7.2.3.BETA-0 (70203000) AgileBits Beta. T
    1PW 7 opens but does not respond to the specific website login as it used to do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dgwebs! I'm sorry for the trouble. In 1Password 6 for Mac, when the 1Password extension is placed into a copy of Safari which the app hasn't seen before, there will be an authorization process that you have to approve - this involves two calls to pages on our website. This authorization only needs to happen once, after which it's stored in browser local storage (unless you clear Safari's cache).

The first call to our website helps in the actual authorization process itself (which you would confirm by clicking the "Authorize" button as shown in that example), the second one leads to a page on our site with a video that tells you 1Password is ready to work in Safari. That's where the problem is: currently, we have a server-side problem with those two pages. The result for users is twofold: one, because the page cannot be reached, it redirects to our home page and two: the extension will not be authorized, resulting in you being unable to use it to fill or save items in Safari.

This can be worked around by opening a new Private Browsing tab and trying again -- using Private Browsing should work for you to authorize the 1Password extension in Safari. If it doesn't, then try the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Safari.
    2. Restart Safari.
    3. Open a private window via the menu option "File > New Private Window".
    4. Visit https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C in the private window and install the extension.

You should now find you see the familiar auth prompt and 1Password can now pair the extension. After that everything should work as normal.

With regard to Firefox, if you've already re-installed the 1Password extension into Firefox and restarted both Firefox and 1Password for Mac, then you may need to re-install Firefox itself. Give that a go, and let me know how all of the above works for you. :)

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

ThanksLars!

The four-step routine you outlined did the trick as did your instruction on uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. Now the browser extensions are all working.

However, I still seem to have a problem. It doesn't seem the app on my iMac is syncing with the 1Password app on my iPhone and iPad. Secure notes I just created on both my iMac and phone don't appear on the other device(s). I hit the Sync Now button on my phone but that didn't help.

David

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dgwebs - hmmm, that's a different issue. Can you tell me, if you open Preferences > Sync on your Mac, and Settings > Sync on your iOS devices, what the various devices are set to use for sync?

If you've recently (or in the past) created a 1password.com account, the sync settings won't be in those locations, because sync for 1password.com accounts is all handled by the 1password.com servers so there's nothing else to configure.

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

All three devices are set to sync to iCloud and that's where I've always had them sync.

Yesterday I downloaded and installed iPassword 7 for my Mac (trial/20 days free). I have since deleted that from my applications folder. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it but I thought I should mention it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dgwebs - please look at 1Password for Mac in Preferences > Vaults. What do you see there? How many vaults do you have, and what are their names?

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

There is just one and it's named Primary. And it does have a check in the checkbox. Same on the IOS devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dgwebs - hmmm, that's quite odd. Presuming you're using the same Apple ID on all devices, sync should happen fairly quickly. Please do this:

1. On each device, create a new Secure Note. Give each one an easily-identifiable name, like "From Mac," "From iPhone," etc so you can see where they're from on any device.
    2. Lock 1Password on each device so you see the lock screen where you enter your Master Password.
    3. Give everything a few minutes to sync (5 should be plenty).
    4. Unlock 1Password on all your devices with your Master Password or Touch/Face ID.

What do you see? Are all Notes on all devices? Or are some only on some devices and others only on other devices?

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

I did as you instructed and the notes created on the IOS devices were in the Secure Notes on those devices. That is, my "iPhone" and "iPad" notes were visible on both of those devices. The note created on my Mac was not on either IOS device and neither of the IOS notes were on my Mac.

• dgwebs
    dgwebs
    Community Member

Found the problem. iCloud Drive was not enabled. I enabled it and everything is working fine now!

Thanks again Lars for all your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dgwebs - you're quite welcome -- glad you were able to find the issue. :)

• SolarFlare
    SolarFlare
    Community Member

The 1Password 7 extension fix for Safari Technology Preview works just fine now and the app is executing login prompts correctly. Thanx!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SolarFlare - glad to hear things worked out for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.