Is there a downloadable manual for 1password for Mac?

Options
nayak
nayak
Community Member

I am new to 1password and I find it a confusing new system. It seems that every note in the online instructions refers to something that I don't know. It seems that to use 1password you have to already know how to use it--before you start!
I like the security of it, and a kind friend helped me get started, but I can't call my kind friend every time I try to use it.
One question is: my wife and I can use the same passwords for some online activity, but how do I set up 1password (with the same Master password) on her computer? I don't really need the family account, because we each do not need separate passwords for the sites that we both use in common.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @nayak -- and to 1Password! I'm sorry for the confusion.

...we each do not need separate passwords for the sites that we both use in common.

True -- but that's exactly what the Shared vault in a 1Password Families account would be for. You don't need separate passwords for sites like the family Netflix account or similar shared-credential websites...but I'd bet you each have your own Facebook, Instagram, Gmail and plenty of other accounts. If you share a 1Password Individual account, you'd see ALL those passwords, jumbled together. It can be confusing if there are three or four different logins for Facebook (for example), all in a row, each one for a different person. That's where your Personal vault comes in: you keep things that are yours only -- where you DO have separate login credentials from your family members -- in the Personal vault, and you keep shared credentials in the Shared vault.

I am new to 1password and I find it a confusing new system. It seems that every note in the online instructions refers to something that I don't know. It seems that to use 1password you have to already know how to use it--before you start!

I won't argue there's a learning curve for 1Password if you've never used a password manager previously, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it -- and we're always here to assist if you run into specific problems. I'd also recommend our Getting Started section. You've already got your 1password.com account, it seems, so the next step is the 1Password apps, and after that (see the bottom of the page), how to use 1Password in your browser to save and fill data. Let us know if you have questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.