Add option to disable automatic copying of 2FA code

vdhpieter
vdhpieter
Community Member

Hey guys! I love the feature of saving 2FA info in 1password. I use for a couple of sites, but some of them don't require me to fill in the code every time I log in. But 1Password automatically copies a verification code to my clipboard and then I have to wait for it to restore the previous content, it also gives annoying notifications about it. Can you guys make this optional (per login or globally is also fine for me)

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.14
Sync Type: 1password cloud
Referrer: forum-search:disable automatic copy of 2FA

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @vdhpieter! I'm surprised to hear that you've got sites that enable 2FA but don't actually require it on each login; seems a bit counterproductive to me, security-wise. But if that's the case, then unfortunately there's no mechanism in 1Password 7 for Mac to sometimes copy your TOTP data. However, you shouldn't need to wait to continue using the clipboard; if you copy anything else after filling the username/password for that specific site, it will override what 1Password had saved. If what you're looking for is the previous contents of the clipboard, then yes, you'd have to wait -- but it won't impede further use of the clipboard.

• vdhpieter
    vdhpieter
    Community Member

The trouble I had was indeed with the content stored prior to filling in username/password. I have 2 sites (zuora.com & onelogin.com) that only require it every 30 days when I also need to change my password.

For my job, I sometimes sign in multiple times a day to these sites so something to disable this would be awesome!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vdhpieter - I'll certainly pass along your use-case to the developers, but I can tell you right now that I doubt that's going to be something we're going to pursue. The whole point of TOTP is that it's an additional layer of authentication security that happens every time you sign into an account. Adding a feature to be able to disable copying or auto-filling TOTP secrets, either globally or on a per-account basis, is likely to result in more problems/confusion for more users than the rare instance where someone is in a situation such as you describe where you have data on your clipboard you need to use immediately after a pasting of credentials (or at least within the timeout period). From what I understand of your use case (the way you described it, anyway), even on those times when you DO need the TOTP secret, you'd still have to wait for the timeout once you pasted the credentials, so turning it off wouldn't help you there. Nevertheless, I'll pass along your suggestion and thanks for bringing it to our attention. :)

This discussion has been closed.