How to locate a license file for 1Password 6

danolee
danolee
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

Hi,

I've been using 1Password 6 on my Mac and iPhone. I recently installed Mojave on the mac while keeping High Sierra for dual-boot but I installed 1Password 6 on Mojave but can't use it since I can't download the license file any more with the link on the invoice email or locate it on my mac using Spotlight search with the keyword '1password.' I sent an email to the support a week ago but no one has responded yet. [#IPT-66621-161]

Any idea?

update: I didn't purchase it from Mac App store so I can't download it from there.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danolee
    danolee
    Community Member

Never mind. I just found the license file using keyword 'onepassword'. But it was not quite pleasant experience that I did not get any support from agilebits. :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @danolee! I'm sorry for the delay in our reply, both here and via email, which is where I see you initially wrote in. We've been experiencing a surge of support requests recently, and although we're working hard to return to our usual quick response times, things have been slower-than-average lately, and for that, I apologize. I'm glad to see you were able to figure out the issue on your own and get 1Password 6 for Mac re-licensed on your Mac. Please let us know if you have any remaining issues or questions. Thanks! :)

• mileserickson
    mileserickson
    Community Member

Is there an official solution for this, Lars? This thread is quite unsatisfying.

• mileserickson
    mileserickson
    Community Member

Hmm. I made tarballs of /Applications/1Password.app and $HOME/Library/Containers/onepassword* and extracted them both on the new computer, and that worked. I never found a specific license file.

I originally purchased 1Password 6 (the full version, not the crippled version) on the App Store and it was quite expensive, so I don't really feel like it's proper for me to pay a new monthly fee on top of the outright purchase price. It seems like Agilebits is deliberately failing to support users who paid full price to buy a license outright, and that is disappointing.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hi @mileserickson, there is only full version of 1Password, not a "crippled" one to my knowledge.
    If you purchased the app on the App Store you do not have a license-file but are able to redownload the app from your purchase history in the App Store. A license file is only applicable in case you bought the app directly on the agilebits homepage.

It seems like Agilebits is deliberately failing to support users who paid full price to buy a license outright, and that is disappointing.

How do you come to that conclusion? You can just redownload 1Password 6 from your purchase history, this is the version you bought and that you have a license for that you can use indefinitely given that the OS and browsers you use are still compatible with that version of 1Password. They also still help you with issues here on the forum and via email for the older versions.

1Password 7 is a whole new version that can either be purchased as a new standalone license (bought in the app that is available from 1Password.com, the App Store version only supports the subscription) or as part of the 1Password subcsription including sync service and the apps for all the platforms which is very recommandable. I just recently switched to the membership and it is really a great and reliable service.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mileserickson! I'm glad you were able to get your copy of 1Password 6 working on your new Mac, but it shouldn't have required those machinations.

I originally purchased 1Password 6 (the full version, not the crippled version) on the App Store...

I'm not sure what you mean by "crippled version"; we've distributed only two versions of 1Password in the Mac App Store since initial launch: the version you have, and the most-recent version 7. If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you don't have a traditional license file as the OP in this thread indicated was the case for them. When purchased from the Mac App Store, 1Password doesn't require (and can't use) a traditional license key from us, since (just like all software purchased from Apple) it's tied to your Apple ID. Past purchases should be available in your purchase history, as @peacekeeper mentions. In macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), that's accessed by opening the Mac App Store and clicking your name in the lower-left hand corner. Scroll back until you see 1Password, and click to download/install.

I don't really feel like it's proper for me to pay a new monthly fee on top of the outright purchase price.

Your purchase is "permanent" in the sense that it never expires, and will work forever on any Macs you have that continue to run the versions of browser and macOS which were current when you bought it. However, 1Password 7 for Mac was released ten months ago, and so the version you purchased is now considered a legacy product and will not be receiving further development attention. If you intend to continue updating your hardware and keeping your versions of macOS and browsers current, that older version will over time become less compatible with the newest versions of macOS and browser, in the same way that 1Password 3 for Mac no longer runs on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”).

A 1password.com membership is the best way to use 1Password at this point, as it includes not only our own data storage and syncing but also access to all four of our native 1Password applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) including any future upgrades, at no additional charge.

• Cori
    Cori
    Community Member

Guys, I think something is broken. I've seen a lot of posts saying "If you purchased from the App Store you can just download it again." That's absolutely NOT the case. The only version available is the new version 7. I'm unable to download 6. I found a link and was able to download 6 but it's a 1 week Trial only. I got that from the downloads/mac section.

I paid full price. I have a receipt to prove it from the Apple Store. I want to restore my original purchase. I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I'm hoping all those people that supported Agilebits from the beginning (many years now) and told all of their friends and family about it will be grandfathered in.

Please tell me how I can get this going?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Cori

I paid full price. I have a receipt to prove it from the Apple Store.

First of all, thank you. :) We're glad to have had your support in the past, and glad you've been enjoying 1Password.
    I'm happy to help you get your original purchase restored, but I did want to offer a word of caution about doing so. We released 1Password 7 for Mac last year in May. When that happened, version 6 in both the Mac App Store and our own shop was retired to legacy mode, like previous versions. This is fairly standard software industry practice: free in-version updates (like from 6.5 to 6.6), but paid full-version upGRADES (like from 6.6 to 7.0). Version 6 will no longer be receiving development attention or updates, and hasn't received any since last May. It's still recent-enough that you can use it for now on all existing Macs, but the time is coming when it will be decreasingly compatible with newer versions of macOS and newer versions of the browsers you use, whether that's Safari or Chrome or Firefox. The bottom line is: if you plan to continue upgrading your hardware, and keeping your versions of macOS and browsers up to date (and we recommend you do so), 1Password 6 for Mac has a limited life expectancy at this point.

In the Mac App Store, previously-purchased or downloaded apps that are no longer the current version can only be accesses via your personal Purchases history. In macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), you access that by clicking your name in the lower-right hand corner of the Mac App Store. You may have to provide your Apple ID password, but once you do, you'll see a list of all previously purchased/downloaded apps. Scroll back until you find what you're looking for.

If you've already installed 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll want to quit completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete version 7. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then open the Mac App Store, go to your purchase history, and install 1Password 6 for Mac from there.

For the future, we are no longer selling 1Password as a standalone product in the Mac App Store, for reasons outlined by our CEO, Jeff Shiner, in this blog post from the version 7 launch. If you want to remain a standalone 1Password user, you'd want to install the version from our downloads page and use the in-app Purchase Options screen to buy a license:

They're available for $64.99, but are currently on sale for $49.99 (over 23% off). Our recommendation, however, would be a 1password.com membership, for multiple reasons. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.