Turning dropbox sync on is resulting in strangely worded pop-up

Daves_Not_Here_Man
Daves_Not_Here_Man
Community Member

Experienced this on both High Sierra, both 1Password 6.?.? and current 1Password 7.2.2.

I'm trying to enable 1Password to sync using Dropbox (don't really understand why it stopped syncing... did I do that when I updated to 1Password 7 on my Android phone?)

I know you guys would like the oldsters like me to cut over to the subscription model, but I like the idea that the company that writes the code is not the one storing my passwords. And by the way, I think that is a differentiator between you folks and the others.

In any case, I went in to settings on 1Password6 on my Mac, and attempted to turn on syncing using Dropbox. I get a pop-up which oddly is titled "Disabling Sync" and then "1Password will no longer sync Primary Vault with the folder.", then it gives me a checkbox "Delete data from folder", and I can either cancel, or disable Sync.

Do I click on "Disable Sync" to enable syncing with Dropbox? That seems pretty bizarre wording to me if that is the case.

BTW, 1 out of 6 times, this pop-up window does not pop up, and it looks like it might have taken the sync on dropbox selection, but leaving that page and coming back makes clear it is really not using dropbox to sync.

I upgraded to 7, thinking that might clear this up, but no such.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 2.2
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Daves_Not_Here_Man - I'm sorry for the trouble!

I'm trying to enable 1Password to sync using Dropbox (don't really understand why it stopped syncing... did I do that when I updated to 1Password 7 on my Android phone?)

Yup. 1Password 7 for Android included an upgrade to the sync keychain from the older, now-deprecated Agile Keychain format to the newer, more-flexible, robust and stable (not to mention smaller) OPVault format. It's not about forcing people to become members as it is to retire older technologies (in this case, Agile Keychain). It becomes problematic and consumes too much of our resources to make every new version compatible with formats we (and OS developers) were using six, eight, ten years ago (Agile Keychain is over ten years old!), so while that will still work just fine on the hardware and OS versions that were current when it was developed (and several versions afterward), most of us stopped using that hardware and OS versions quite some time ago (are you still using the same Mac you used in 2008? You already mentioned you're using a very recent version of macOS).

Fortunately, all you really need to do is make sure all devices you're using a 1Password app on, are using the same OPVault sync keychain. Look at your Dropbox folder: where is the OPVault file your Android device is using for sync? Once you've located that, check what the sync path is in 1Password for Mac. Is it the same? Or is your Mac still using an older Agile Keychain. If it's the latter, then yes, you'll need to disable sync. You don't need to click the "remove data" checkbox unless you wish to, but you DO need to turn it off briefly. Then, return to the sync settings and resume sync...but this time, with the OPVault that's also being used by 1Password 7 for Android. Make sure you repeat this on any other devices on which you use 1Password, and you should be all set! :)

• Lars,

Thanks for the response. As a former s/w developer, I feel your pain, I think my problem was that a "red letter" day came and went for me without my realizing that I needed to sit down and walk through all of my devices. I do remember updating my Android back in june or so, and I think I fumbled around for a very short time, when it looked like it updated the data base, looking for an update on the mac, but I either did not see it, or blew it off because I was in the middle of something. My bad.

I think I am used to seeing 1password have staggered updates rolled out platform by platform, and do not expect to update everything at once, I think if you ever do this again (like 2085? :-) , people like me have to be whacked on the sides of their heads so they understand what is going on.

Anyway, I think you misread my original post a bit, I have no problem with the database change, and I assumed that the database was the same whether I was on dropbox or not, I was just trying to figure out some nonsensical responses when I was doing the two-step of undoing dropbox and then re-doing it or something. (I think I had to enable sync, quite 1password, get back in, and then really disable sync, or something like that.) 1password was definitely in some sort of in between state it is not supposed to be in.

Anyway, I did clear out all of my devices, and uninstall reinstall and then sync again. I think the last step will be for me to load the old database off my phone, and capture any entries I made there since June, without contaminating the new database. (already copied to my Mac, so I assume I can side-load the vault and cut'n'past newer entries to my primary vault.)

Thanks!

-Dave

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Daves_Not_Here_Man no worries! Glad you got it figured out/sorted. Let us know if you have continued difficulties or are unsure about how to capture any of the recently-added data. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.