Master password stopped working on iOS client

Options
thebeard
thebeard
Community Member

I've been using 1Password on iOS for several years now, and recently registered for 1Password.com. Recently I inadvertently disabled TouchID on my iPad Mini and now I find that I can't log in to the 1Password client on my iPad, but I can still log in successfully to the 1Password.com site and view my bookmarks there. (I've just successfully used it at 1Password.com and viewed my bookmarks online, but I can't use that same Master Password to access my 1Password iOS client.)

My inclination is to delete the 1Password client from my iPad Mini, reinstall a new blank copy of the iOS client, then log into that using my 1Password master password and let the iOS client download my bookmarks to the iOS client.

Given that I know my password for the online account definitely works, am I overlooking some really obvious reason not to do this? Is there some harm I can do to my access to my bookmarks that I'm overlooking?

The only thing I can see is that on my iOS client, as I only recently switched to online storage of my passwords I still have (though obviously I can't get access to them for the moment!) both copies of my online vaults and the original vaults I created before I went to using 1Password.com to store my passwords. Following the delete-then-restore-from-online strategy I've described above I'd potentially lose access to those older offline-only vaults, but given that I copied their contents to the 1Password.com site already I can live without them if need be: they were really more evidence of my cautious instincts than actually useful vaults.

Does anyone have any better ideas about how to regain access to my passwords via the iOS client? Am I missing something really obvious here?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @thebeard

The process you proposed is the exact one I would recommend. The difficulty here is almost definitely that the iPad still has a "Primary" vault lingering on it that has a different Master Password than your 1Password.com account. I'd recommend also checking your other devices for such a vault. We currently give the option in the migration process to delete the old vaults after migration or not. We're going to change that. It causes far more problems that it has ever solved. In the future they'll be removed automatically.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• thebeard
    thebeard
    Community Member
    Options

That's very reassuring, thanks. I had a horrible feeling that I might be overlooking something basic that would cause me to regret this entire plan of action. It's good to have confirmation that I'm on the right track.

At the moment my iPad Mini is the only working device I have that runs 1Password: I used to run the program on a Mac Mini too, but that machine no longer functions and hadn't for a year now, so given that I don't really value my old vault (it'd be nice to preserve it because I'm incurably paranoid, but I'm 99.995% certain that everything I need is residing safe and sound on 1Password.com) I'm going to proceed with my plan and download everything from 1Password.com.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. I'd recommend having a copy of your Emergency Kit handy. :)

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Ben

• thebeard
    thebeard
    Community Member
    Options

I had that to hand, but it wasn't necessary: I'm delighted to report that I'm now the user of a fully functional copy of the 1Password app and my online vaults have populated the iOS client again so all's right with the world.

Thanks for the encouragement that I was on the right track. Given that until recently following the demise of my Mac Mini I was solely reliant on the vaults in the iOS client, it's daunting to think how bad a state I'd have been in if this had happened before I went for a 1Password.com subscription. The sheer hassle of all those secure passwords being gone and my potentially having to click on all those 'Forgotten your password?' links to rebuild my list would have been mind-boggling.

I'm once again happy to sing the praises of 1Password to anyone who'll listen. Excellent software, excellent support.

• Ben
    Options

That is great to hear. I really appreciate the kind words, @thebeard. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us, and have a great holiday season.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.