No fingerprint on 1Password home screen

jschussler
jschussler
Community Member

According to the instructions for using a fingerprint with 1Password, there will be a fingerprint icon on the home screen. No such icon shows up for me, so I can't log in with fingerprint. I'm running the latest version of 1Password, on a 2018 MacBook Pro where fingerprint works fine elsewhere, OS version High Sierra.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• K49
    K49
    Community Member

Something for you to thing about.

Face ID and fingerprints don’t give you the legal protection of a Passcode... From a legal perspective, you’re LESS secure unlocking a phone with your fingerprint — or any biometric mechanism — than with a Passcode. Passcodes are considered “testimonial” evidence based on the contents of your thoughts. But in multiple cases, suspects have been ORDERED to unlock a phone via fingerprint, under the reasoning that their fingerprint (or your face) is a piece of physical evidence. They cannot order you to enter a passcode.

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

I'm fine with that. This is my work machine, there's nothing on it that will implicate me in plans for world domination.

So how do I get the fingerprint on the 1Password home screen?

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

Bump.

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

My daily bump.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jschussler You do know don't you that each time you "Bump" you move your post to the back of the line. hth

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

I was under the impression it pushed it to the top of the post list. Where is this "line" you speak of?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jschussler The line I speak of is the one you refer to as "the post list." As you may have noticed, your post goes unanswered for days because the Forum support staff reply in the order received. hth

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

Ah. I didn't realize that. So...I should assume that eventually they'll get to it?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jschussler Eventually, this past week has been pretty overwhelming for them--holidays, generous offer of free one year subscription, etc. They always work thru the list, in my experience. btw, the fingerprint issue is mentioned in some other threads, so you might want to check those out. hth

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jschussler - sorry for the delay in our response. @vplewis is exactly correct about how we try to approach our users' questions/issues: in the order received. That means, when you "bump" you're going to the TOP of that list (i.e. - most recent) rather than the BOTTOM (i.e. - next up).

Anyway, I'm sorry for the difficulty you're having just now. Did you perhaps migrate your login keychain/user account from another Mac using Migration Assistant? Or restore it from a Time Machine backup, or something similar to that?

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

It's a reasonably new machine, so did get migrated a couple months ago. But the old machine didn't have fingerprint, so never noticed the lack of fingerprint availability.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jschussler - that's going to be the issue, then. Let me make sure I understand you, however: are you able to use Touch ID otherwise, such as to unlock the Mac itself? In other words: is it only within 1Password that Touch ID isn't working? Or is it not working anywhere on your Mac?

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

Yes, touchID works fine everywhere else. Just doesn't appear within 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jschussler - thanks for the clarification. That'll almost certainly be a function of this, then. The long and short of it is that if this affects you (and that certainly seems to be the case), you're going to need to get rid of that legacy, imported keychain, and let macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will "reset" the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. We'll need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following if you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive first; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain:

1. Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    2. Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case anything goes truly south. Let us know how that works for you.

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

Ok, thx. I'll give it a shot.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jschussler - sounds good. Let us know how you get on. :)

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

That worked. Thanks for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jschussler - great! You're quite welcome. Glad I was able to assist.

This discussion has been closed.