Safari extension not working

joschaf
joschaf
Community Member

I recently got a new Mac and tried to set up 1Password 6 (via the App Store because that's how I bought it a few years ago). The main app as well as 1Password mini both seem to work as expected. The Safari browser extension that I installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery however does not work. Nothing happens if I click on the button.

I un- and re-installed the extension and the main app, rebooted, and did everything that was suggested here (https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/) and here (https://support.1password.com/firewall-proxy/), but it still doesn’t work. It worked perfectly fine on my old machine (older computer, but same OS and setup, only the main app's version there was 6.8.8 whereas now I have 6.8.9 -- is this what broke the extension?).

What can I do to make the Safari browser extension work? Hope you can help me. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joschaf: I'm not sure why it wouldn't work now, but certainly Apple has changed some things in Safari and we were expecting that the old extension (and therefore 1Password 6) won't work there much longer. Please do the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Safari
    2. Quit Safari
    3. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    4. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash -- be sure to find them all using Spotlight; I expect you have more than one
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Reinstall 1Password from your App Store purchase history
    7. Reinstall the extension from Apple's gallery: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Please note that Apple will not be accepting updates to that, and will be closing down the gallery going forward. So this will not work anymore. Let me know how it goes.

• joschaf
    joschaf
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for your quick replay and advice. I did everything exactly as you instructed, but no change. I noticed (and forgot to mention earlier) that right after opening Safari and clicking on the 1Password extension button a dialog pops up that says:

Looking for 1Password app […] Couldn't connect to 1Password […] with a "Try again" button

This together with an alert asking to allow opening the 1Password app (which I did) and a dialog underneath the 1Password mini menu bar symbol with a button saying "Use in Safari" or something (which I also clicked) ... although those three dialogs pop up almost simultaneously so I'm not sure I got the order of clicks right.``

Also the "open and fill" doesn't work, neither in the main app nor in the mini app ...

Do you think going back to 1Password version 6.8.8 might work (it does on my old computer which also runs on macOS Mojave)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joschaf: No. The only change in 6.8.9 was a new signature for Opera. Going back to an older version will have no impact on Safari. You also can't do that with the App Store anyway. It really sounds like you had multiple copies of 1Password. What did you find with Spotlight? The message you're seeing is 1Password mini not being able to connect to the right one. It would also be really helpful to know the specifics of the other dialogs you mentioned. If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• joschaf
    joschaf
    Community Member

Spotlight showed exactly one copy of 1Password, and after I deleted that, none. After re-installing, one again. (Remember this is a brand new computer, only one week old so I think it's unlikely that there is more than one copy of 1Password on it.)

Then I tried to recreate the dialogs in order to take screenshots by rebooting and starting Safari, but the dialogs don't appear anymore.
    With the Safari extension still not working and the main app's and mini app's "open and fill" not working either I got a bit frustrated.

Oh well ... so I went and installed 1Password 7 and started the free trial subscription. I don't like the feeling of being coaxed into a subscription even though I paid for a licence before, but I have to say that the transition was very smooth, and everything is working as expected. It took less than 10 minutes to set everything up and import my old vault. That was impressive!

So I guess we can close this discussion as I decided to upgrade to v7. Thanks @brenty for your time and effort :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

Spotlight showed exactly one copy of 1Password, and after I deleted that, none. After re-installing, one again. (Remember this is a brand new computer, only one week old so I think it's unlikely that there is more than one copy of 1Password on it.)

@joschaf: Well...I didn't want to take it for granted that you'd started out from scratch, and not migrated data from an older Mac, since that's fairly common. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. :)

Then I tried to recreate the dialogs in order to take screenshots by rebooting and starting Safari, but the dialogs don't appear anymore. With the Safari extension still not working and the main app's and mini app's "open and fill" not working either I got a bit frustrated.

That does sound strangely infuriating... :(

Oh well ... so I went and installed 1Password 7 and started the free trial subscription. I don't like the feeling of being coaxed into a subscription even though I paid for a licence before, but I have to say that the transition was very smooth, and everything is working as expected. It took less than 10 minutes to set everything up and import my old vault. That was impressive! So I guess we can close this discussion as I decided to upgrade to v7. Thanks @brenty for your time and effort :+1:

I'm glad to hear that went smoothly for you, but I'm sorry for the difficulties you had leading up to that. If you don't mind, I'd like you to send an email to support@1password.com with this as the subject line:

[#XZE-29515-389]

I'd like to see if there's something else I can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.