How to use Emergency Kit to get into account with unknown Master Password on my Mac.

Seasherm
Seasherm
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

I recently upgraded to a membership and 1Password 7. I seem to have different passwords on each of my devices, and I have changed the one on my Mac to one I don't know. I have my Emergency Kit, but I can't find instructions on using it to reset the password on my local Mac account Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Seasherm! I'm sorry for the trouble. When you created your 1password.com account, you would have needed to give it a Master Password. This could have been but was not required to be the same one you were already using for your standalone 1Password setup.

The way to check if you're able to access your 1password.com account will be via a browser. Open your browser of choice and try signing into your account at https://my.1password.com. If you haven't done this previously, you'll need the email address you used to register for the account, as well as both your Secret Key and your Master Password. You can get the Secret Key from your Emergency Kit, but only you know the Master Password. If you can't remember it, or the one you think should work isn't working, then your data will be unrecoverable if you have an individual 1password.com account. If you're a member of a 1Password Families account or 1Password Teams account, your Family Organizer or Administrator will be able to help you recover your account.

If you don't remember your Master Password AND you can't have someone help you recover it, then my next question would be: are you signed into the account on any of your devices? You'll be able to tell by the presence of a vault called either Personal or Private. Do you see such a thing, anywhere?

This discussion has been closed.