Touch ID enabled but not working

ubocchio
ubocchio
Community Member

I can't get Touch ID to work in my Mac. It was working before.
touch ID is enabled in settings, touch ID works for everything else.
I recently uninstalled/installed 1Password to try to fix this problem
I recently Restarted all 1Password data to try to fix this problem

Nothing seems to work,
the problem started happening after an update to my login keychain due to a user password change.

settings:

this is what shows when I press CMD + :

Notice the touch ID icon and the touch ID prompt don't show up
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

PS: full diagnostics attached (renamed as PNG to be able to upload it)

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ubocchio! I'm sorry for the trouble with Touch ID.

the problem started happening after an update to my login keychain due to a user password change.

Yep, that'll be the problem right there. One of our Mac developers, rudy explains a bit more about why this may be affecting 1Password but not other apps on your system that also use Touch ID, in this post. Unfortunately, on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), there's no option to change the login keychain password. The only option is to get rid of the keychain so the OS recreates it, so that's what we're going to have to do. Do NOT take this step until you've made a complete backup of your system (hopefully bootable, but Time Machine is OK). When you've made the backup, show the steps below:

Open Terminal (inside the Utilities folder in your Applications folder) and enter this command:

mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop

Restart your Mac.

To be clear, again, THIS WILL DELETE ALL OF THE KEYCHAIN DATA! macOS will recreate it after restarting, so that it includes the Secure Enclave data that Touch ID support depends on. It’s probably an excellent idea to retain the Keychains folder that the above terminal command moved to your Desktop, in case it has any data that needs to be recovered. You can probably throw it away after a while has passed and you're more certain you don't need anything from it. Let us know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.