1Password won't open touch ID

negativeh
negativeh
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

When I open 1Password, I don’t get the .option to use touch ID. I suspect it is a keychain issue as this started happening after Apple support changed some settings to solve another problem. How do I resolve this?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mohave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@negativeh - you didn't specify what settings were changed, but if you recently imported an old user account via Migration Assistant or a Time Machine (or other) backup, that will have been the issue, yes. You can read a bit more in this thread but essentially, since 1Password uses the Secure Enclave Processor and other apps don't, this is why you see the issue only here. Unfortunately, if what I've described sounds like what's going on with your setup, then the only real solution for it is to get rid of that legacy, imported keychain, and let macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will "reset" the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. We'll need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following if you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive first; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain:

• Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    • Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case you need to recover any of its data. Let us know how that works for you.

• negativeh
    negativeh
    Community Member

It worked. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@negativeh - you're quite welcome. :) Glad I was able to help.

This discussion has been closed.