switch from standalone application to subscription membership

TigerMO
TigerMO
Community Member

I just migrated my vault from 1Password 7 Desktop for Mac after buying an online membership subscription. I still have the 1Password 7 app on my desktop, so I have several questions.

• Should I delete the desktop app? What's the best way to do that?
  • I believe I still have a vault on Dropbox in a file named Dropbox.opvault. Should I delete that and how?
  • Do I continue to use the Safari extension to fill in usernames and passwords that are stored in my vault? If not, how do I delete it?
  • Other browser extensions? Continue to use the same as I used to?
  • What about 1Password mini on the top menu line? Continue to use?

I'm still a little confused in general about how I will use 1Password differently now that I have a membership than I used to use it as a standalone application. If I understood those differences, it would also probably answer the questions I just finished asking.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TigerMO - if you've opened a 1password.com membership, then it's your choice how to use the data.

Should I delete the desktop app? What's the best way to do that?

Not unless you plan to only view/use your data from within a web browser. You can do it that way, but I'm not sure why you would.

I believe I still have a vault on Dropbox in a file named Dropbox.opvault. Should I delete that and how?

The Dropbox sync keychains are no longer necessary. But before we go deleting data, let's make sure your account has a complete and up-to-date copy of your data: please sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com -- look at your data. Is everything there? Was it properly migrated from your previous standalone setup? If so, then yes, you can delete all of the older Dropbox keychains.

Do I continue to use the Safari extension to fill in usernames and passwords that are stored in my vault?

Yes. The version of your extension should be the same as the version of 1Password, if you are using 7.2 or later of 1Password for Mac. You'll need it to continue filling and saving your data into websites.

Other browser extensions? Continue to use the same as I used to?

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

What about 1Password mini on the top menu line? Continue to use?

This is part of 1Password for Mac; it cannot be separately deleted (though you can remove it from appearing in the menubar, if you want to). Here again, unless you're planning NOT to use 1Password for Mac at all (and you need to use it, if you want to save/fill data automatically), you should leave that alone and continue to use it as you always have.

Your 1password.com account is not a new interface for 1Password for your Mac, it's a new data storage location (the 1password.com servers) and sync provider (again, 1password.com). But you still need the local 1Password for Mac app to use your data, unless you plan to only ever look it up in a web browser.

• TigerMO
    TigerMO
    Community Member

Thanks for the very thorough answer and explanation. The "other browser extensions" I was referring to were the extensions in Firefox and Chrome. From your other answer, I can guess that those will function the same as they used to. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TigerMO - yes, the Chrome and Firefox extensions are the same as they have always been. You shouldn't have any trouble with them after upgrading, but if you do, please restart both the browsers AND 1Password (or just restart your Mac). If necessary, you can reinstall the Chrome and or Firefox extensions. Let us know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.