Change my primary vault

jgh
jgh
Community Member

Hi,

I have two vaults loaded into 1Password and I would like to change which one is primary so that I can use the master password that I prefer. I saw some discussion about this two years ago but the resolution was pretty ugly; it required a "reset" of 1Password and reload of the vaults, where a Primary vault gains this designation implicitly based on import order rather than an explicit and configurable value. I cannot find an explicit and configurable way to change this so I'm concerned that this problem still exists over two years later.

I do not wish to change the master password on the vault that's primarily my current because then I would have two vaults with the same master password.

For context, here's the scenario for how I got into this problem.

I've been using 1Password on all my devices (mac laptop, iphone, windows) for three years now. I recently imported another vault for my job, making it the secondary (so far so good). However, I was still using an older version of 1Password (5.x). I had been putting off upgrading to 7 since it meant I would have to deal with the payment method changes but, one day, I decided to click the upgrade button and 1Password 7 was not able to load my legacy vault anymore through the main wizard due to format changes. I put this issue off temporarily since I was at work, and loaded my work vault to continue getting my work done which, without me realizing, was a critical mistake because now my work vault was the primary. Then I proceeded to import my old format Vault from dropbox, making my personal (the true primary) vault my secondary.

Ideally, there would be a button like "Make this vault my primary" but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions? Hopefully I'm missing something. :)

Thanks,
Jerry

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jgh!

I have two vaults loaded into 1Password and I would like to change which one is primary so that I can use the master password that I prefer.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work like that. Vaults are individually encrypted, and the Primary vault also serves as the Master Password for all of the rest of your vaults, whether you have two or twenty. You can't just designate an arbitrary vault as Primary on-the-fly. It's not a problem, it's the way the system is designed.

However, there ARE workarounds. First of all, in your case, I'm concerned about 'payment method changes' you mentioned: there are none. Yes, if you've been with us since 1Password 5 for Mac, then the new 1password.com memberships are a new form of payment method (subscription), but no one's forced to create a membership (account) just to use 1Password 7 for Mac; we still sell standalone licenses for version 7. Did you create a 1password.com membership? If so, that changes things substantially and makes the most-pressing question: do you want to keep it, and have you transferred over your data into the new account?

If you did NOT create a 1password.com membership account, and you still have copies of your current keychains for both vaults, we can just reset the data in 1Password for Mac and start over with the personal-life data (which will then be Primary) and add the "work" vault as a secondary. But please let me know what the situation is currently, and how you'd like to proceed: do you have a 1password.com membership (and do you want one)? If not, do you want to purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac, or continue using 1Password 6 for Mac (which I presume you have a license for)?

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

I also have this question, but in my case I have only Dropbox vaults.

I recently upgraded my Windows 1Password from v4 to v7. Rather than just opening the v4 .opvault in v7 I had to create a new vault and import my v4 data. Now I would like to change the primary vault on my iPhone and iPad to be the new vault created in v7, which is also on Dropbox.

Since there does not seem to be a way to accomplish that in the iOS app itself, is it as simple as deleting the app, re-installing, and then syncing from DropBox? Will deleting the app on the iOS device remove the local copy of the vault and allow me to link to the correct (new) Dropbox vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jimgarrison - yup. :) Just go ahead and either delete altogether, or visit Settings > Advanced and click "Erase all 1Password Data," which will amount to the same thing, only without having to re-download the app. You'll be force-quit, and the next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you're an entirely new user. Just use the OPVault in Dropbox, and you'll be all set.

This discussion has been closed.