Why did the password generator not appear when I was trying to change one of my passwords?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I was trying to change a password, but the password generator was nowhere to be found. What could be the problem? Please help.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Isn't yours like this?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

No, on mine the password generator has totally disappeared. It is nowhere to be found. What gives?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Somebody help. My password generator no longer exists.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

Hi @jazzman

Could you please post a screenshot of what you do see?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

I know how to take a screenshot, but I can't seem to get it to post here. Help.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Somebody please help. I cannot get 1Pass to generate passwords on my iMac. The password generator no longer exists.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Something is bad wrong here. The password generator is totally missing in action. I have followed all instructions on posting screenshots with zero luck. Plus 1Pass is now sometimes going to my default Safari webpage when I try to login to my first website of choice upon logging on. All of my software is up to date, and everything else is functioning properly. All of a sudden 1Pass has decided to malfunction. I need some serious help.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

A little progress. I opened iCloud and looked at 1Pass there. The password generator was there. When I open 1Pass from the icon on the dock, there is no password generator. When I open it from the mini icon on my menu bar, the password generator is there. Either way, when I try to change a password, it does not work.

The issue about 1Pass opening to my default webpage has cleared up.

I still can't get a picture to post.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Success of a sort. I always have opened 1Pass from the dock. I like the large display. I've never really had any trouble with it until this issue with the password generator. It is no longer there.

So I tried changing a password by opening a site from the mini icon on the menu bar. It worked. Although I've never really used that little display much, at least it works.

I still wonder why the password generator just disappeared from the dock app. Maybe someone will come by my questions and be able to explain this and help me restore my 1Pass app to what it used to be.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman: There has never been a "Password Generator" listing in the main 1Password app -- what you seem to be referring to as "the dock app". The Password Generator can be accessed in the main window when editing the password field in a Login item. Otherwise it can be found in the sidebar in 1Password mini (from the menu bar icon or browser toolbar), as june8 mentioned above. That hasn't changed. :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@brenty:

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to change a password Monday, but the password generator did not work in the main window. That confused me. I had forgotten all about 1Pass mini at the time. So I thought the password generator had disappeared. Whenever I have changed a password in the main window, the generator enters a new password and allows me to save it. I need to try another one from the main window today to see if it works. Thanks for clarifying.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@brenty:

I just tried to change a password, but again I could not access the password generator in the main window when editing the password. The only way I could do it was by using the password generator in 1Pass mini. The password generator has always automatically just worked when changing a password in the main window(I think-correct me if I'm wrong). Unless I'm just way off, it was seamless. If it is supposed to work from the main window automatically when I change a password, how can we fix it?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

The gear icon should be clicked to make the password generator active in 1Password application.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june8:

I see what you're talking about if you're using 1Pass mini. However, if you're using the main 1Pass app, I do not see a gear icon. I would swear, however, that I have been using 1Pass from the main app for quite some time, and I've never had trouble changing passwords in that main app(not the mini app) until now. The password generator does not appear when I try to change a password in the main app nor is there a gear icon anywhere to be found. I haven't used the mini application since early 2018. I don't think it's me, but maybe it is. I have regularly changed some passwords over the past year with no trouble at all in the main window of the main 1Pass app until now. This is Twilight Zone stuff if you ask me. I use this all the time, and I'm not making this up.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Here's the gear icon, don't you have it?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june8:

No I do not. I have never seen or used that. As I said, I've always used the main 1Pass app with no problems. When I would change a password, the program would generate the new pw automatically and all I had to do was save it. I never used the mini app. I never had to use a gear. It was automatic. Note that I have a standalone license. I don't know if that has anything to do with the appearance of 1Pass on my Mac.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

No, it is not related with licence. Could you please post a screenshot of the same part?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june:

I know how to take a screenshot, but I can't get it to post on here. How do you do that? Plus, do you want the picture taken from mini or the main app? Also, could this have anything to do with the extension?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Main application (same part as mine). To post the screenshot use the image icon (last one under the Leave a Comment sentence).

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june:

When I try to attach an image, all it show is a line that looks like a web address.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

That's normal. Just click the Post Comment button.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

You should enter the Edit Mode to see the gear icon. Click the Edit button and post that screenshot please.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

And now the gear icon appeared.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june8:

I'm not sure what that proves. I've been a 1Pass customer over four years. Changing pws has always been seamless and automatic from the website you're trying to change. It always asks for your current pw. Then the 1Pass pw generator appears, and you either choose the pw that has been generated or you change it to something else. Then you hit fill and save/update, and everything is done. For me now, the pw generator is not appearing and doing its job. It seems you're telling me I'll have to do this manually from now on. I've reviewed the 1Pass instruction on changing pws, and they substantiate what I'm saying.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

While changing a password in a website, if you decide on the password and enter it manually, 1PW asks you whether you want to save the change or not. And while changing a password in a website and decide to generate the password, you open 1P mini, generate the password and fill in. That's what I know.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june8:

I don't know much, but I do know I have always changed pws in the main window and it has been automatic. No gears. No manual stuff. I go to a website, initiate the change, enter the old pw and the 1Pass generator appears and does its thing. It enters the new pw and asks if you want to save and update, and that's it. That is no longer the case as of this Monday. Something changed. The pw generator no longer works in the main window. Whatever I have to do now to change a pw is manual. I have never experienced that before. What an experience. I'm still not satisfied. The 1Pass instructions say you can change pws exactly like I said. Go figure.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@june8:

Your instructions on how to change a pw were spot on. I was wrong. I went back and carefully reviewed 1Pass' instructions, and you were exactly right. Yet my way of changing pws in the main window, for some reason, did work for me automatically since 2014. That's something I learned when I first started using 1Pass, so I got it from somewhere. Anyway, I guess you have taught me the correct way of changing pws. Thank you for that. My old way, wherever I got it, no longer works.

This discussion has been closed.