New laptop. Unable to sign into my account.

zzlion
zzlion
Community Member

Purchased on license 1P(4) and have upgraded as far as 1P6. Have a new laptop and wish to move 1P to it. Can't figure out how to do since I can't log in to my account. Keeps asking for a Secret Key which I don't have so I'm still on the outside. Do I have to sign up for a new account? I'm neither team nor family; just one old guy living alone. Hopefully I can do this simply. I await your response.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:New laptop. Previous app was a license not a subscription. Unable to sign into my account.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zzlion - a Secret Key is part of a 1password.com account, which you won't have if you've been using 1Password as a standalone app. It sounds as if you may have downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac -- is that correct? Your post says 6.8.6, but I'm wondering whether that's on your old laptop or on the new one as well?

You've got a few choices here: if you want to continue using the older version (6) of 1Password that you're licensed for, you can download that from our downloads page (scroll down and get to the "using an older computer?" section -- and keep right on the way you have been. If you want to upgrade to version 7 (recommended), it will be a new purchase. We DO still sell standalone licenses for version 7; they're currently at the "launch special" pricing of $49.99 (will eventually be $64.99). The other way to pay for...well, everything, including 1Password 7 for Mac would be a 1password.com membership, which is $2.99/mo if you pay annually ($35.88/yr). That's actually what I recommend, for numerous reasons. Let me know if you have any questions about the options.

• zzlion
    zzlion
    Community Member

Lars thank you for the reply. I love the product and recommend it to all. I recognize that software companies (and others) are moving to subscription-based products but there will be a whole lot of us who will have to think twice but about that cost, while living on a fixed income (that old subscription vs food thing). I tried to follow up on the "numerous reasons" to inform myself but, alas, I get a 404 error. I'll poke around and learn about 7 and how I can get all my passwords onto the new machine. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zzlion - I'm so sorry. We've recently changed around some of our support URLs and created new ones, and it looks like I gave you a bum steer on that one. The correct URL is https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

The pricing works out differently for different people, depending upon individual situation, in terms of license vs subscription. If you are in a family where multiple people want to use 1Password, then it's (as close to) a no-brainer: 1Password Families is waaaaay less expensive, at $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr), than four or five individual licenses (or more, if some people use multiple platforms) would be. If you're a single individual, the math isn't so extreme. A new standalone license is $64.99 (though on sale now at "launch special" pricing of $49.99), while an individual 1Password membership is $2.99/mo ($35.88/yr when paid annually). You have to figure out for yourself how often you think we might be releasing a new full version (which would require a new license). Let us know if you have any questions, however! :)

This discussion has been closed.