Are there Two Versions of 7.2.2 ?

Jason51
Jason51
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

It appears that I have two different incompatible versions of 7.2.2 on my two Macs. The preference panels are different - please see the attached screenshots (one has Preference icons for Sync, WLAN, and Backup; the other does not). The two Macs are not syncing together correctly.

Both are use 1Password version 7.2.2 (70202007)
Both Safari Extensions are 7.2.2
Both Macs are running Mojave 10.14.1
Both are syncing over 1Password.com (I just set this up after upgrading from 6 and switching from Dropbox syncing)
Both have the Sign-in Address of https://my.1password.com under Accounts in Preferences
Both have the same Email Address under Accounts in Preferences
Both have the same Secret Key

Can you please advise how to fix this syncing problem? Why do I have two different versions of 1Password 7.2.2?

Thank you,
Jason

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I don't really know about this, but I can hazard a guess that has a good chance of being correct.

I suspect that one Mac has a Primary vault (carried over from a stand-alone installation of 1PW6) and the other does not. You may even have "allow creation of vaults outside accounts" in the Advanced section of Preferences checked in one case and unchecked in the other.

The tings is that with an account all syncing is automatic through 1Password.com, and even backup is done there. So the Sync, WLAN and Backup tabs are just not relevant for an account, and do not exist, they are only needed if you have a Primary vault outside the account.

I would also guess that if they are not syncing with each other, it may be that new logins, etc, on one machine are going into the Primary vault and not into the Personal vault that is the basic one associated with an account.

Check and see if that makes sense. If it does we (probably AgileBits staff rather than users like myself) can get you tidied up.

• Jason51
    Jason51
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Thank you, I just figured this out. It appears that 1Password by default sets up Personal and Primary Vaults, and creates duplicates of all items into each vault. Of course, the Primary and Personal Vaults don't sync across 1Password.com. It did the same thing on my iOS devices as well. Had to erase each Primary Vault separately on each device.

Was confused for a while there.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @Jason51.

The important part is that you got things working but in case you were wondering what happened and for future reference for other people, here’s what happened.

As you said, you were originally using 1Password 6 standalone. That Primary vault was the one you used for that. When you upgraded to 1Password 7 on the first Mac, you created a 1Password membership. Doing so created a new Personal vault for you to use, migrated your data to it and deleted the old Primary vault.

When you installed 1Password 7 on the second Mac, it imported your Dropbox Primary vault because that is what you were using before. My guess is you then added your membership to that device. However since you had already gone through the migration process, you weren’t prompted to do so again which means you were not prompted to delete the old Primary vault, something that needs to be done manually on all devices after the initial migration.

The reason the two versions had different options in preferences is because of you are only using 1Password membership vaults, manual syncing options and such are hidden from preferences as they are unnecessary and would simply confuse people. Since your second Mac still had the Primary vault on it, the extra options showed.

Anyways, everything is working now, which is the important part, but that’s what happened.

This discussion has been closed.