Guess I shouldn't have "upgraded".

Trager
Trager
Community Member

So I've been a 1Password user for years, but couldn't quite figure out what the benefit was to moving from 6 to 7 and going to the subscription model. I just got a new laptop, and figured that when I was setting it up, I'd try 7 and see how it works.

Now none of my other devices can see the vault that used to be stored on Dropbox. I'm guessing 1p7 erased it for some reason. I get that Agilebits wants us to migrate to using the subscription service, but breaking existing installs is not the way to do it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Trager
    Trager
    Community Member

The funny thing about this is that I was debating starting with the subscription service, but treating your customers this way makes me not want to give Agilebits a damn cent.

• mintjelly
    mintjelly
    Community Member

Did you get this resolved?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Trager - I'm sorry for the trouble! What you've experienced sounds like you were using the very old (and now retired) Agile Keychain format for sync in Dropbox. We've been urging people for years to switch from Agile Keychain to OPVault, and in 1Password 7 for Mac, we finally formally retired the older format. When you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, you would've gotten a notice that the older format needed to be upgraded. This doesn't have anything to do with 1password.com memberships; it only affects those who stay on Dropbox. The upgrade process would have imported your data, and written out a new OPVault keychain...but it can't know what other devices you're also using with the older format, and it obviously can't switch them to the new keychain for you.

However, this isn't difficult to resolve: on any other devices where you were using 1Password with the older Agile Keychain format, simply turn sync off (if it's not off already) and then back ON, but use the OPVault which 1Password 7 for Mac on your Mac should've written out, and you should be all set. Let us know how you get on! :)

• Trager
    Trager
    Community Member

Yes, I converted the original value to the OPVault format so that 1P7 could use it. However, immediately after doing so, my iPhone, iPad, and older MacBook Pro all started throwing sync errors, which were only resolved by turning off sync, switching to the new OPVault version, and re-enabling sync on all devices.

So good that it's working again, bad that trying out the new software broke working software on all other platforms. Also, I was surprised to find out that the 1Password 7 download for the Mac is almost totally nonfunctional unless I set up a subscription. That makes it especially hard for me to decide whether the "upgrade" to 7 is worth money, all things considered.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Trager

As has been mentioned, we have been urging people for years to switch to OPVault. The format was originally introduced back with the release of 1Password 4. We eventually had to mandate it because while AgileKeychain was good for its time, technology and security have moved on and so must we. We decided that 1Password 7 was the right time to mandate it. It does mean that you need to point your other devices to the new OPVault keychain file, but they all support the format. It's an inconvenience, yes, but one that needed to be done.

As for 1Password 7, yes, it is a paid upgrade and has limited functionality if you have not paid for the upgrade. All 1Password memberships come with a free 30-day, fully functional trial. You don't even have to enter in any payment details if you don't want to. You have those 30 days to try out a 1Password membership and 1Password 7 as much as you would like and at the end, make a decision if you want to continue with the membership, revert to standalone and purchase a new license for 1Password 7 (they are still available), downgrade to 1Password 6 (although this is not recommended as development on 1Password 6 has ended) or any other option.

This discussion has been closed.