Key ring function vs 1Password7

ulbn
ulbn
Community Member

Could it happen that the Key ring function in my Mac Book Pro Laptop/iPad/iPhone sometimes "collides" so the either one of these functions get "blocked" or disabled?

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Mojave, IOS 12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good morning @ulbn. Thanks for taking the time to write in. I have seen some instances where iCloud Keychain’s new Strong Password Generator collides with 1Password’s ability to fill in a strong password of its own. I’ve also seen similar “collisions” on iOS. In general if you’re using 1Password you can probably turn off iCloud Keychain. On your Mac you can switch off Password AutoFill from iCloud Keychain in Safari > Preferences… AutoFill.

On iOS you can do the same in the Settings app, Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords.

Cheers!

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply, MrRooni!
    /B

• My pleasure, take care!

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi again Mr Rooni!
    I did as you recommended, and disabled the iCloud Key Ring, to prevent possible collisions between key ring and 1Password...

After that, began to tidy up among my reused passwords, and went to one of the sites concerned, where I intended to change to a stronger new 1Password-password.
    And again encountered the difficulty I have ran into before doing that, several times - and failed again renewing the login.

If this is due to poor/unclear instructions from 1Password, or my own ignorance I do not know, but therefore I need help!

Entered the concerned website at first, then clicked on their page for changing passwords after having logged in with my "old" password first). There I found only one field where to enter the new password and a confirm button.

The next step, engage 1Password to generate a new strong password...by clicking the small icon at the top

and the select password generator on the left in the next window.

The "fill in" to insert the new generated strong password on my selected website was the clicked - the new password is only shown to me as a series of dots (maybe I should have made a separate note on eg a piece of paper for safety reason, to have the new password in clear writing until I am finished? see next paragraph below)

I confirmed the new inserted password on my chosen website, and logged out from there (after 1Password asked me if saving this new password is ok - yes).
    Then trying to log in from the start on my favourite website, I only get the message there that either is my mail address wrong, or the password. Access denied!!
    Then I fully opened 1Password to see what password was used and was registered.
    What? Only the "old" password stored?
    The new, much stronger password seems to be lost in cyberspace. Now, at the stage, I have no idea of the new strong password.

Frustration!!! What do I do now? Is login on my favorite website now terminated for good?? Where did I go wrong??

This is just one example how my changing to stronger passwords crashes. I have experienced it several times - due to my ignorance or poor 1Password instructions??
    I think I would appreciate a very detailed step-by-step manual with instructive screenshots to navigate and operate correctly.

Please comment on this post!
    /B

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @ulbn

Any time you use 1Password's generator to fill in a password, that password gets saved in the Passwords category in your vault until it is added to a proper login item. If the password didn't get saved properly as a login item, check the Passwords category, it's probably there.

https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password

This discussion has been closed.