Doesn't autofill, just menu

I am using the Firefox extension and for 90%+ of sites, it doesn't autofill. What I get is the drop down menu, even if there is only one match I still get a drop down menu of one item, that I have to manually select. Why does it behave like this? I want 1Password to autofill nearly all the time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hello @maniacfox!

It sounds like you're using 1Password X. Is this what you're seeing?

While the app with the standard extension does have a shortcut that you could use to fill the fields without a pop-up, you'd still need to initiate the fill, as we don't want to be filling a site every time you visit it.

All of that said, I personally believe that the inline menu in 1Password X is currently the best way of using 1Password. If you're not a fan of clicking with your mouse, you can use arrow keys and Enter (Return) key to go through the suggested login items.

Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• maniacfox
    maniacfox
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, you're right, I am using Password X and for the most part it's very good.

The odd thing is, if this is intended behaviour, how come it does auto-fill some sites immediately?

In all honesty, I'd like it to auto-fill most sites immediately (even if you don't), but there are a handful where I don't want this behaviour. So why not have a check box that gives the customer the choice?

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@maniacfox Hm, that's odd. Which sites does it Autofill immediately, and which exact steps are you taking? I'm wondering whether the browser has some of your credentials saved and it's doing the legwork for you.

Thanks for your feedback. I see how that would increase the convenience, but I can also see how that could be potentially exploited. However, if you're using Go and Fill from within the 1Password X extension pop-up, 1Password will know that you intended to fill a specific page and will fill it automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maniacfox: 1Password has been intentionally designed not to automatically dump our sensitive information onto a webpage when it loads. That's been a serious privacy and security problem for browsers, and is just one of the many reasons we always recommend disabling that behaviour. We want 1Password to help people be safer, not the opposite.

I think Sebastian's explanation above may help clear up some of the confusion, but if you still need assistance or you're not sure about something, just give us the specifics and we can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.