Unable to open 1Password

njohnson13
njohnson13
Community Member

1Password suddenly closed when open on Mac laptop and now unable to access on Mac. Using same password, I can still open on iPad. I will be traveling soon and need to have access to 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unable to open 1Password on Mac but opens on iPad

Comments

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

1Password suddenly closed when open on Mac laptop and now unable to access on Mac. Using same password, I can still open on iPad. I will be traveling soon and need to have access to 1Password.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @njohnson13

Sorry for the trouble. What version of 1Password have you been using on your Mac?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

Hello?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

version 7.2.2

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

are you there?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13

Yes, I am here. That is rather strange. 1Password simply won't open anymore? How have you been syncing your 1Password data so far?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

I assume through iCloud. My friend set it up for me since I am not so savvy at it.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13

1Password is working on your iPad, correct? Check it and see. Do you have a 1Password membership subscription or have you been using it standalone?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

Yes it is iCloud. If I change the password on the iPad, would that sync with the Mac app? Would that solve the problem?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13 Will 1Password on your Mac not open at all or will it simply not unlock?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

I am confused at your question, what is the difference between "not opening at all or simply not unlock". It will not unlock when the password is entered, the area turns red and indicates in red the number of attempts.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

I did not see your prior question: "Do you have a 1Password membership subscription or have you been using it standalone? " I do not know the difference.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

I did sign up for a trial for another version and I know that version is frozen because I cancelled. If I use that password I can get into the frozen account/version but it is not functional.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13 will the 1Password application open at all. When you open the application, does it run and then you just can't unlock your vault or does it immediately crash?

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

The application will not open at all on the Mac.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13 Okay then, well we can't fix anything until it is able to open. Try deleting the 1Password 7.app file from your Applications folder and redownloading and reinstalling it from either our website or the Mac App Store. Once you can get 1Password o open and stay open we can proceed.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

Are you sure it won't delete it from my iPad?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13

Nothing I tell you to do on your Mac will touch the data on your iPad in any way. As long as you don't delete the app from your iPad, you will be fine.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

In my app folder I see the 1Password listed but when I try to move to trash, it says it can't because it is open. It's not!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@njohnson13 restart your computer, then try. If you still get the issue, check to see if there is a 1Password icon up in your menu bar.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

yes there is, I looked online to try to figure out how to remove from menu bar and both try failed: 1. holding command and removing icon from menu bar. 2. going into system preferences and removing either agile or 1password files. The icon is still is up on the menu bar.

• njohnson13
    njohnson13
    Community Member

Sorry, I need to leave this conversation. Will try to connect tomorrow.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@njohnson13 - just so you're aware, this is not a live chat, it's a bulletin board/discussion forum. Conversations can and do happen asynchronously, which means we won't likely be immediately answering you when you reply -- and we don't expect you to do so either.

Two things need to happen in order for 1Password 7 for Mac to close fully (which will allow it to be deleted). First, you must Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). And the second thing is: make sure you also close Safari, if it is open. Once you've done both of those things, you should be able to delete the 1Password 7 for Mac app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then grab a fresh copy of the installer from our downloads page and you can re-install.

This discussion has been closed.