Im running Sierra 10.12 and 1password 6. I want to upgrade to Mojave.

ohsusannaf
ohsusannaf
Community Member

Im running Sierra 10.12 and 1password 6. I want to upgrade to Mojave. What do I need to do?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:updgrade

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ohsusannaf! It's a bit beyond the scope of what we do here to advise you how to upgrade your macOS installation, but Apple has plenty of documentation on such things. Usually, assuming your setup is pretty standard, it's fairly painless: just visit the Mac App Store on your Mac, and grab the macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) download. There were some pretty significant changes in macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) (like the switch to APFS), so I'd make a last backup before you anything of the kind, but it should be pretty smooth.

1Password 6 for Mac will work in Mojave, but if you're a Safari user, be aware that Apple introduced significant changes into Safari 12's extensions format. They formally retired the familiar .safariextz-style of extensions we'd all grown accustomed to using for years, in favor of a new format called Safari App Extensions (SAE). 1Password 7 for Mac uses the new SAE extension, but 1Password 6 for Mac does not. For the moment, you can still install the older-style extension into Safari 12 on Mojave, but we don't know for how much longer that's going to be the case, as Apple have said they plan to sunset the older Safari Extensions Gallery in the near future. If you're planning to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, then none of that applies to you -- but be aware that version 7, as a completely new full-version upgrade, requires either the purchase of a new standalone license ($64.99, but currently on sale at "launch special" pricing) OR (my strong recommendation) a 1Password membership . Let me know if you have any further questions. :)

• ohsusannaf
    ohsusannaf
    Community Member

Can I upgrade to 7 while still using Sierra? Or do I need to wait until I have Mojave?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ohsusannaf - here are the system requirements for 1Password (all platforms). If you're using the latest (final) version of macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”), you can use 1Password 7 for Mac. I'd recommend keeping your system as up-to-date as you can, however.

• ohsusannaf
    ohsusannaf
    Community Member

Thank you! I'm trying to upgrade and the installation stops here.....I don't have any other windows open. I have restarted the computer....

• ohsusannaf
    ohsusannaf
    Community Member

Thank you! I'm trying to upgrade and the installation stops here.....I don't have any other windows open. I have restarted the computer....

• ohsusannaf
    ohsusannaf
    Community Member

Ok...I have 7 installed now. It looks like it synced everything from dropbox. So how do I pay for the upgrade? This is a little confusing....I've had one password for years.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ohsusannaf - glad to hear you got 1Password 7 for Mac installed. If you downloaded/installed from the Mac App Store, you can't purchase a standalone license unless you want a 1password.com membership, as the Mac App Store version is now membership-only. Did you sign up for a 1password.com membership as part of the install/first-run process? If not, you'll have a large "Read Only" banner on every item in the list view. Clicking that should bring you to the purchase options screen:

• ohsusannaf
    ohsusannaf
    Community Member

yes I got that banner. sorry I thought I could purchase a stand alone version...I downloaded it from the agilebits site. So will this still sync with drop box? That is how I have always synced it with my iphone and ipad and mac

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ohsusannaf

sorry I thought I could purchase a stand alone version

You can. Click the second link on that screen, like this:

This discussion has been closed.