SERIOUSLY?! Browser add-on UX foobar. Please don't go down this road...

tb2thee2
tb2thee2
Community Member

I've been using 1P from very early on, and for the first time in years I'm seeing a serious UX own-goal:

My 1P browser add-on/extensions broke. I don't know (or care) why, but in an effort to fix it I uninstalled them, re-DLed 1P and reinstalled it, then reinstalled the a-d/e's. At some point, the problem went away. 👍 Inadvertently, I upgraded from 1P v6 to 1P V7. OK, fine, every dev is moving to %#& subscription models, I can put up with this for a while. But now...

I click on 1Ps browser toolbar widget, which opens some new-style 1P window, and when I click on the login I get...AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR 1P V7. No. Just no... You can argue that it's not an ad, and I'll say whatevz: if it walks and talks like a duck, it's a duck. It's colorful, lists features and benefits, and is asking me to shell out $$$. I don't want to.

I won't pretend to know how you should resolve this UI/UX problem, but — please — DO NOT INSERT ANYTHING THAT EVEN LOOKS LIKE AN AD INTO 1P'S UX.

I love love love 1P because its UX is smooth and very transparent. It's very rare that I encounter something I can't do, or even something that's difficult or distracting. This is a HUGE achievement, and everyone at AB should be very, very proud.

Ads break this. Please rethink this very carefully. I think a lot of customers, like me, will be reluctant to agree to switch from 'owning' 1P to YA monthly charge, which means this UX problem isn't (or won't be) so rare.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tb2thee2 ,

Well, it's sort of an ad, so you are correct. But 1Password 7 still supports standalone licenses as well as accounts. 1Password 7 requires a new license, since it's been a long time since we charged for a new version (version 4 - 6 were all free upgrades). This is why you are seeing that notification.

On that screen, there is a link under the green button to purchase a 1Password 7 standalone license. It will then take you to a comparison screen between a standalone license and membership (subscription). If you choose to purchase a license on that second screen, you will be able to purchase a standalone license.

Once you have a 1Password 7 standalone license, you will not see that screen again.

Note, that if you run 1Password from the Mac App Store, you will need to download and install 1Password from our website ( https://1password.com/downloads) to purchase a standalone license, as standalone licenses are no longer available in the Mac App Store version.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• tb2thee2
    tb2thee2
    Community Member

One thing I have always liked about 1P is how responsive AB's support is — fast, helpful, and to the point. So: thank you! 👍

• tb2thee2
    tb2thee2
    Community Member

I dunno about that default avatar, though...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tb2thee2 - I'm glad ag_kevin was able to assist! What avatar are you referring to, however? The "keyhole" icon has been around for some time now, so it shouldn't be new to you unless you were using a very old version of 1Password. Did you mean something else?

• tb2thee2
    tb2thee2
    Community Member

Sorry, I should've been clearer: I meant on the user forum.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tb2thee2 - ah, gotcha. Yeah, we don't set those; they're the default avatars set by our forum software. I think there are about fifteen or twenty of them, each not that much different from the others, except in color and expression of the "mouth." If you like, however, you can click on your username in the top bar and you'll be able to add your own avatar if you're so inclined. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.