Trash "extra copy" of 1Password

skorg264
skorg264
Community Member

I get this screenshot whenever there are updates to 1Password 7. It is not actually on my internal hard drive but on a cloned drive backup to an external hard drive. Do you recommend deleting that copy from the external drive even though the update is done on my internal drive? I would assume that clone/backup drives would not matter with regards to deleting the current version as new backups should back up the new updated version but just wanted to verify. Thanks for clarifying.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @skorg264

I didn't see a screenshot in your post, but I suspect I know what you're referring to. Yes, we recommend only having a single copy of the 1Password app connected to a system. I'd suggest excluding 1Password from the cloning process. You can, of course, back up / clone the 1Password data (which is stored in your home folder).

Thanks.

Ben

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member

Ok. Thanks. Forgot to include the screenshot. Here it is if it makes any difference. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend excluding from clone process when it is on a driver separate from the internal drive?

• Because it causes this error message to appear if you don't. ;) In all seriousness, there are some difficulties with macOS with the way applications are located and launched by the system. It is possible for the system to "find" the wrong one. Most people with most applications never have a problem, but due in part to the architecture of 1Password (re: the mini) we are especially susceptible to this problem. So, to avoid that difficulty, we don't recommend having multiple copies of the application on any Mac systems.

Ben

• skorg264
    skorg264
    Community Member

Lol. You’re pretty funny. Ok. I’ll exclude from cloning backups. Thanks

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.