Change from 1Password downloaded from AppStore (account version) to standalone license version?

macke
macke
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password from the AppStore in the belief that I could buy a standalone license within that version. I was wrong... :( My question now is how do I uninstall this version before I can download the standalone version from your web site? I have not started a 1Password.com account (I hope), I only selected to sync my Dropbox agilechain-vault (which was automatically converted to OPVault).

Found the following description: https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

Do I need to follow all of those steps to be sure the standalone version will work without problems or is it enough to just do some of the steps?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macke - sorry for the confusion! We don't sell 1Password in the Mac App Store as a standalone app any longer, for reasons outlined in this blog post by our CEO, Jeff Shiner. If you want a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, you can simply delete the Mac App Store version and download/install our version. Here's how:

1. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Quit Safari, if it is running
    3. Delete the 1Password 7 for Mac app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.
    4. Download the latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page
    5. Run the installer

That should get you where you want to be; do NOT go through all the steps at the link you provided, as that is if you want to remove all traces of 1Password, including your data (which you don't).

• macke
    macke
    Community Member

@Lars - Thank you, that seemed to work. Purchased the licensed and it installed automatically. Thought I should store the license key in 1Password (as I do with other software licenses) but when I view the license no actual license key is presented in the dialog, just my name... Have you replaced the license key found in e.g. the Win version 4.6.X with a license file in the Mac version?

• macke
    macke
    Community Member

@Lars - A couple of other questions:

• Even though I have purchased the standalone license I can still see the "Account" menu item in the main menu bar. Shouldn't that be hidden for me when running a standalone license? What is the purpose of keeping it?

• Since I downloaded the software from you website, how will I keep it updated? Will I still get updates for 1Password from the AppStore and are they safe to install "over" my downloaded version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macke - 1Password for Mac has used a license file in place of a traditional serial number-style license key since version 4. The Accounts panel of Preferences is visible to everyone because it's something anyone might use at any time. You might get a new job at a place that already uses 1Password Business, and add your account to 1Password for Mac, or other possibilities. Like all Preferences, if it's not applicable to you, just...don't use it. :) You update 1Password for Mac via the Preferences > Updates tab. You can turn automatic update-checks on or off here, as well as including beta builds, if you're interested in joining us out here on the bleeding edge. And yes, updates are safe to install in place. :)

This discussion has been closed.