1Password license items missing from Software Licenses category

fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I have two Mac computers running the licensed version of 1P7. Previously, I have also had licenses for 1P4, 5, and 6. I realize the older licenses are no longer needed, but I have added all of them to my OPVault in the Software Licenses category. Both computers are set to sync from a shared network folder. Today I realized one of my Mac's Software Licenses category showed all four 1P licenses and the other Mac's Software Licenses category showed none of them. I set sync to None on both Macs, did a backup on the Mac that showed all of the 1P licenses, copied the backup file to the other Mac, and did a restore. Both Macs then showed all of the 1P licenses.

Then I deleted the previous OPVault from the network folder and set sync for both Macs back to the network folder. The first Mac created a new OPVault in the network folder and the second Mac did a "merge with existing". When I checked the items contained in both Macs' Software Licenses categories the first Mac (the one that created the new OPVault in the network folder) still showed all four 1P licenses, but the second Mac (the one that merged with the network folder) showed none of the 1P licenses. I repeated these steps several times, using the same original backup file but switching the places of Mac 1 and Mac 2 in the network folder OPVault creation sequence. Whichever Mac created the network folder OPVault kept the 1P license items and whichever Mac merged into the network folder OPVault lost its license items. All other items in both Macs stayed the same.

I checked the License... line in my 1P7 Menu and it said "You are licensed!" on both Macs, even there was no 1P7 license item in one of the Mac's Software Licenses category.

This is all very strange. It does not seem to affect my 1P license status or operation, but I do not understand why two Macs sharing the same OPVault would not have identical 1P license items in their Software Licenses category.

Any ideas? I realize your answer may be "Who knows, that's one of the reasons we do not recommend syncing to a shared network folder", but I would appreciate your insight if you have seen this issue before, w/ or w/o shared network folder syncing.

1Password Version: fourwheelcycle
Extension Version: fourwheelcycle
OS Version: fourwheelcycle
Sync Type: fourwheelcycle

Comments

• Hi @fourwheelcycle

It isn't just that we don't recommend this configuration, we explicitly do not support it. To achieve what you're looking to do the best solution would be to set Folder Sync on each Mac to sync to a folder on their respective local drives. Then use a tool like rsync to sync each of these local folders to the network folder. There are much easier solutions, but if you want to sync with a drive on your network that is the way to do it. Folder Sync isn't designed to be pointed at a network folder.

How to keep a copy of a standalone vault updated in a folder | 1Password

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, make sure you point 1Password on each device to the same vault. Otherwise they will still be syncing, but with different data.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member

You are both giving me the answer I thought you might give me - that you really don't care about any problems I might have if I am not syncing the way you want me to sync. I understand that.

However, my current issue is that everything is syncing perfectly except my 1P licenses. Why are 1P's license items different than all the other items in my vault? I have 277 items in my vault, including Secure Notes, Logins and Software Licenses, and every one of them is syncing perfectly except the four 1P licenses. Also, as I noted, 1P7 recognizes that I am licensed on both of my Macs even though the license is missing from one of the Macs' Software Licenses category.

I always thought my Macs were showing me the items in my OPVault, but now I realize two Macs syncing to the same OPVault can show identical vault items except for 1P license items. What is different about the 1P license items? Do they not actually reside in the OPVault? Or are they somehow more ephemeral than my other logins and secure notes? I thought you might have some insights or comments on these questions, but I guess once I say I am syncing on a shared network folder you just assume that must be the problem.

• It isn't that we don't care -- we just aren't in a position to troubleshoot a sync issue with a sync setup that we've explicitly said we can't support, exactly because it can produce unexpected results like this one.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fourwheelcycle: To clarify, if you're using an OPVault, any items in that vault will be contained in the actual OPVault folder. I have no idea what might be going wrong with your particular setup that would cause the files to be different after syncing. If we didn't care about sync, we wouldn't have bothered building support for Dropbox or iCloud, or created our own 1Password.com service for that purpose. It just isn't feasible for us to figure out everything that goes on with stuff we have no special insight into or control over. Sorry. :(

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member

@fourwheelcycle

Whichever Mac created the network folder OPVault kept the 1P license items and whichever Mac merged into the network folder OPVault lost its license items. All other items in both Macs stayed the same.

As you have a solid backup of your original data and the means to recreate it, you may want to try a few additional troubleshooting steps.

1: Sync Mac 1 and then Mac 2 as you have previously done, where Mac 1 creates the new OPVault. Now sync Mac 1 again. Does Mac 1 still show the license records?

2: Do the restore procedure again so that both Mac 1 and Mac 2 show the four licenses. Now, delete a license record from Mac 1, delete a different license record from Mac 2 and then sync both Macs. What is the result of that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member

@macindigo

1P7 is working well for me and I have stopped trying to figure out the lost 1P licenses issue. My sync setup actually does use local folder sync for my iMac and my Mac laptop. I use a continuous sync facility to keep both local folders synced to a shared network folder. Both Macs are usually not open at the same time, so 1P's local folder syncing and my network syncing usually happen when one Mac is open while the other Mac is off or sleeping.

I think what happened the other day is that I was setting up a new USB printer and I had both Macs open at the same time, next to each other, so I could plug the printer into the iMac, and then the laptop, to make sure the setup was the same on both Macs. Then I happened to open 1P7 on the iMac to log-in to a web site and I noticed the iMac was missing my 1P licenses. I quickly checked 1P7 on my laptop and the licenses were all there. That's when the Dx sequence described in my OP began.

I think the issue only arose because both Macs were open and syncing with their local folders at the same time my sync facility was syncing in the background. I usually don't have both Macs open at the same time, so I don't think this will be a frequent issue. As I noted, it did not affect any of my login items or secure notes, so I think there must be something "different" about the 1P license items or the way 1P7 manages them in the OPVault.

I notice if I go to my hidden Library/Containers folder my current 1P7 license sits in its own /License folder, separate from my OPVault or my /Data folder, so I am not in danger of losing my 1P7 license even if it is "lost" in one of my Macs' OPVaults.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@fourwheelcycle - glad to hear you narrowed it down to having both devices open at the same time. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.