Safari extension disappeared, refuses to reinstall

SandyFos
SandyFos
Community Member

Using MacOS Mojave 10.14.2, Safari 12.0.2. Yesterday the 1P extension was working fine; today it has disappeared, even from the list of installed/available extensions in my copy of Safari. I tried to reinstall it from the extensions "store", but clicking on the download arrow does absolutely nothing. I am the administrator/organizer for a family plan, though that shouldn't make a difference. Interestingly, the extension is fine in Firefox and Chrome, but those are not my preferred browsers.
I have tried multiple times to reinstall the extension in Safari; I have quit Safari and re-opened it; I have restarted my Mac. Nothing has fixed the problem so far.
Ideas? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: none at this time
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SandyFos - because of the changes Apple made in Safari 12, every version of 1Password for Mac after 7.1.2 includes the new Safari App Extension format, not the older .safariextz format. There are several differences, but one of the main ones is that the new format is not a separate download; it is part of the main 1Password app. In other words, there is no way to install just the extension, or to reinstall it - short of deleting and re-installing 1Password for Mac itself. This is by design, and it's not going to change (because that's how Apple now wants it). That's also the reason things are unchanged in Chrome and Firefox - because those developers have not changed their extension format.

Did you change anything with your Mac in the intervening time between when you were last able to use the 1Password extension in Safari and when it stopped being visible/working? Did you upgrade macOS or 1Password? Did you add/change any other programs or utilities or any settings (particularly network settings)? What do you see in terms of 1Password in Safari's Preferences > Extensions right now? If the answer is: nothing, I'd like you to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), quit Safari as well, then delete 1Password for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then visit our downloads page and get a fresh copy of the 1Password 7 for Mac installer and run it. Let me know how that works for you.

• SandyFos
    SandyFos
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your reply, Lars. As you suspected, there was absolutely no hint of 1Password in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, so I followed your instructions. That did the trick, as you'd expected, and I'm very grateful. It's amazing how quickly we get used to the ease of using that extension and not having to copy and paste from the application itself! Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SandyFos - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist.

This discussion has been closed.