My wife and I share a1Password vault via Dropbox. One of our iOS devices has an error when syncing..

taciems
taciems
Community Member

Only one of our iOS devices has an error when syncing. The error message is "Failed to upload file to Dropbox. Path: /1password/1password.opvault/default/band_8.js

This error on a device that only has wi-fi; no cellular service.

Can you help?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:failed to upload file to Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@taciems: Unfortunately we don't have any insight into or control over Dropbox, so you may need to get in touch with them if you continue having issues updating files in your account. You may want to check your storage, or at least the actual files there, through the website. It's telling you that it cannot write to that file for some reason. Are you seeing it in your account?

This guide may help narrow down any configuration problem:

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

But it isn't normal for Dropbox to give an error like that. It's not something we hear about from other 1Password users typically. Let me know what you find.

• AN124
    AN124
    Community Member

Hi friends!
    I got same trouble and I don’t know how long I got it.
    Seems now it’s a fork with my passwords database placed on iPad instead of my primary vault on Dropbox cloud.
    I discovered this issue during iPad 1password app settings check.

The difference is - my sticky file is band_C.js. According Dropbox data it was modified 2 weeks ago. The storage is ok and everything else works well including sync of another 1password instances.
    My vault has OPVault format and I’m not ready to reset the iPad 1password app neither Dropbox folder, god knows how long sync is broken, how many info can be lost if I decide to drop the app on my iPad.
    I have the log file with a lot of errors.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AN124: Which device has all of your current 1Password data?

• AN124
    AN124
    Community Member

No device has it. That's the point.
    I use 1password apps on Android phone, iPad and windows 10. They sync well using Dropbox exept iPad. Yesterday I noticed that iPad refuses to sync with Dropbox. I don't know how long 1password on iPad expecting sync troubles, the files it want to synchronize we're updated 2 weeks ago according Dropbox information.
    I made some changes in my 1password db on iPad these 2 weeks and have added a lot of new info. These 2 weeks I made some changes on another devices too. Now iPad contains unsynchronized data.
    So I need to merge my iPad data and Dropbox data that is valid at this moment.
    And avoid duplication of course.

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Here exactly the same. With my iPads and my Windows PCs there ist no error message, but only with my iPhoneX that says : "Failed to upload file to Dropbox. Path: /1Password 2.agilekeychain/data/default/24....snip...1password
    but the information is properly synced as I tested it with a dummy entry.
    After uninstalling 1password from my iPhone and reinstalling it everythings works fine again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AN124: Thanks for clarifying. You'll be at the mercy of Dropbox then, but often that turns out okay, as they are generally good about dealing with sync conflicts, of which you will undoubtedly have some at this point.

The way forward is to first establish what each device is syncing with. Go into 1Password Settings/Preference on each device, and find the path to the vault in Dropbox which that device is syncing with. Let me know each of those here, and I can give you instructions on how to proceed. :)

• AN124
    AN124
    Community Member

I just tried to make some secure note on a "problem" iPad and it appeared on other devices and vice versa without any problem. But I'm not sure that it applies to all the changes I made on iPad last weeks because probably some .js files may not properly sync.
    @Dieter59 are you sure your present sync state covers previous entries you made on iPhoneX?
    Can you remember some items you previously created or edited via your iPhoneX and check the changes on other devices?

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

@AN124 no, I'm not sure and it's possible that some entries are missing. To check that is nearly immposible for me because I've nearly 400 entries and daily changes. The problem is, that the sync-problem is not visualized (i.e. popup) so you only recognize it, when you open the dialog

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

But now I checked again and I've another sync-failure saying, that Upload of /1Password 2.agilekeychai/data/default/ failed

• AN124
    AN124
    Community Member

@brenty All the apps are showing the path: /Apps/1Password.opvault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dieter59: Sorry, I missed the comments you posted while I was replying to AN124. It sounds like the vault being sync'd with on that device no longer exists, at least in the form it did previously. Did you maybe convert to the newer OPVault format on another device, but haven't yet told the others to sync with that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AN124: Thanks for checking! It does sound like Dropbox has some conflict then. You might actually be able to see this looking at the files through the website. At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report on each device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to [email protected] and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#QGT-58483-437]

If you’re reading this and you are not AN124, this Support ID is for AN124 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: QGT-58483-437

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

@AN124 "Did you maybe convert to the newer OPVault format on another device, but haven't yet told the others to sync with that?"
    No I didn't do that. I really have no glue what really happened.I did the following: I deleted 1password from my iphone and from one of my ipads where the same thing happened, reinstalled 1pw again and everything is fine since then. Because I've several hundred entries I'm not sure wether I lost some information due to thios operation, but if so I will survive it ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dieter59: What 1Password vaults -- .agilekeychain or .opvault -- do you see in Dropbox?

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

.agilekeychain

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dieter59: Thanks! Can you tell me the specific OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device, and which one has all of your 1Password data?

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

I use Win 10 (1809 Build 17763.253) which has all the data
    3 ipads all with the newest IOS and 2 iPhones also with the newest IOS
    1 iPad and 1 iPhone had the sync problem

• @Dieter59

Just to be clear: if you add an item on one of these devices at this point it appears on all of the other devices? Is there any reason to believe that any data is missing?

Ben

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

Yes, if I add s.th, it appears on all other devices. There was an erroe message like that : "Failed to upload file to Dropbox. Path: /1Password 2.agilekeychain/data/default/24....snip...1password

So I suppose that anything got lost because one file is missing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dieter59: Yeah, missing files are generally not a good thing. I don't guess that you can see the full path there, but maybe we could in the logs. That might help you track it down with Dropbox. If you'll generate a diagnostic report, I'll be happy to take a look:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to [email protected] and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#EYC-89536-913]

If you’re reading this and you are not Dieter59, this Support ID is for Dieter59 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Thanks in advance!

ref: EYC-89536-913

• Dieter59
    Dieter59
    Community Member

on the way

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

This discussion has been closed.