Edit window closes unexpectedly when invoked from menu bar

xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

When adding an additional document to a Software License object, editing MUST be done using the full app or by first anchoring the selection found in mini. This complicates updating 1Password with new Software License object related Documents.

1. Click on Menu Bar icon (window opens)
  2. Search for item (item found)
  3. Click Edit (item switches to edit mode)
  4. Drag document to item window (OOPS - THE EDIT WINDOW IS GONE!!! AND EDIT IS IGNORED!!!)

I know that the edit window will not disappear if invoked from the full GUI.
I know that I could explicitly anchor the item before clicking Edit.
I know any text edit will implicitly anchor until Save is invoked.

Regardless of how an item was found, clicking Edit should perform an implicit anchor until Save is invoked. Discarding an Edit without a request and without notice is contrary to the 'Principle of Minimum Astonishment' and, thus, should not happen. The behavior of edit mode should be more consistent between invocation methods.

Thank you.

[The behavior of many other applications is such that focus is not lost on mouse down outside of the window, but only on mouse up outside of the window. Thus Drag and Drop actions work nicely. This might be done in 1Password without too much effort and not conflict particularly with existing behavior. ]

1Password Version: Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2 (18C54)
Sync Type: AgileBitsCloud
Referrer: forum-search:edit window closes

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think it makes sense if 1Password is doing what you told it to, but I agree that it could be improved. Automatically saving is a great benefit we're able to get with 1Password.com accounts since they have item history and the change can be reverted if needed. But since not everyone is using a 1Password.com account, we do need to be careful about considering different possibilities, and there is necessarily more complexity involved with how this sort of thing is handled. It's a good point though, and I'm glad you brought it up. Thank yo for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.