Disappearing Data

bart64
bart64
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for several years. On the 19th of December, I upgraded from the standalone app and created a family account on 1password.com. When upgrading I chose to keep my vault on my mac with Dropbox sync. On the 24th I created a new website account on my computer and was waiting for it to sync to my phone but it never did. I double checked and sync was set to Dropbox, I may have re-enabled it. I woke up this morning and all of the 1password data, on my mac, was gone but the primary vault was there. The data is still on my phone. After searching the forums, I found a way to import old data. I did this and the data was current from the 21st of December. After the import, my primary vault had updates through the 21st of December but the Personal vault on 1password.com only has data through July 2018, it was empty before I imported the data. I am using the Mac App store version 7.2.2. I am a little concerned that something can happen like this a few days after the upgrade. Right now I have turned sync off.
Any idea what happened?
Is it better to use the non-mac store app?
Thanks for the assistance.
Best Regards,

Chris

1Password Version: 7.2.2 Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bart64: I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we don't have any control over or special insight into Dropbox. One thing that comes up from time to time though is some people expect Dropbox (or some other sync service) to serve as a backup. That's really not the case, as they will sync file deletion and data corruption too. So if the vault was moved or removed on another device, that change would sync to any others. You should be able to use one of the backup archives 1Password saves to restore (Preferences > Backup), but ultimately it would be a good idea to look into what's deleting your data and where. The Dropbox website can help with that since you can view changed or removed files there, and see which device made the change.

• bart64
    bart64
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up. Everything works now, but to be honest I don't think this was entirely a dropbox issue. It seems odd that 1password didn't import all of my credentials.
    Best Regards,

Chris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bart64: Glad to hear that all is well now. I'm not sure what you mean by "import" though. What steps did you take exactly?

• bart64
    bart64
    Community Member

In my 1password account, the newest entry is from late July even though my original vault had entries through December.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bart64: Would you please answer my question?

What steps did you take exactly?

This is all you said on the matter earlier:

After searching the forums, I found a way to import old data.

Based on your other comments, it sounds like you just needed to copy your data from the Primary vault to the Personal vault:

I did this and the data was current from the 21st of December. After the import, my primary vault had updates through the 21st of December but the Personal vault on 1password.com only has data through July 2018, it was empty before I imported the data.

But it sounds like you didn't do that for some reason.

I'd like to help, but I'm really going to need more to go on.

This discussion has been closed.