What happened to 1password mini? It doesn't feel "mini" ...

mhulse
mhulse
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

Hello,

What happened to 1password "mini" (browser extension and menu bar icon)?

Within the last half year, when I click the 1password icon in Chrome on via my menu bar, this huge window pops up (floating over everything) and it looks/feels like the full 1password application.

I miss the small size of the "mini" window.

I also liked that it was attached to the menu bar and/or the chrome 1password icon.

I get that I can scale the size of this window, and that it remembers it's last placement/scale, but it just feels too .... big?

I really liked the minimalist size/placement of the old "mini".

It would be nice if you gave the user the option to "dock" this window to it's associated icon (and when docked, would be the smaller ui/size of the old "mini" app). When un-docked, it would behave like it does currently (e.g. a user-defined size, floating window that remembers your last placement/scale).

Am I making sense here?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1password sync
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini

Comments

• Iyad
    Iyad
    Community Member

Yes, I agree with Mhulse,

I'm very upset from the new way to view 1password "mini" 7 specially when I tried to use secure note or any another category to copy something from another window, I found 1password "mini" disappear, and when click on 1password "mini" again its open on favourites. last time I sped long time to copy some information from different windows coz every time I need back to choose secure note category then click on specific note, then click edit, same thing for other categories

I had licences for 1password 6 and really I plan to back to that version coz its more better from 1password 7

I don't like the UX for 1password 7 and I feel that I paid money for nothing, I didn't feel any big changes between 6 and 7, but I lost one of the best features which I like it (keep 1password mini windows on the top)

Please give us an option to keep window stick with mac bar and browser bar,
    Hope you reply on this request

Thanks

• mhulse
    mhulse
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply and support @lyad, I really appreciate it!

I should mention, I too also liked the UX/UI of the "mini" app ... This new one feels too much like the full 1Password application.

I did not mention this in my original post ... I would like a streamlined "mini" experience (in terms of size/placement and UI/UX) when using the menu bar and/or browser extensions.

Maybe having an option to change the interface might be a nice middle ground? One option would be this bigger/floatier interface, and the other would be the more classic "mini" experience?

Thanks for your consideration!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mhulse: Size isn't everything. ;)

1Password mini is still much smaller than the main 1Password window, but it's grown a bit to accommodate new features and functionality (well, new to mini). Maintaining multiple UIs is infeasible and would be confusing. We're always evaluating things though, and we'll continue to iterate on the design over time. Thanks for your feedback! :)

P.S: 1Password mini can be moved anywhere on screen, and will remember its size and position. It's easiest to adjust it while locked. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Iyad: You should try the "Open in separate window" option -- the "boxes" icon at the top of the item details, or you can press ⌘ O. It sounds like that will help you. ;)

• Iyad
    Iyad
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for that information about Open in separate window, but why you don't add same thing for mini windows, option to keep that windows on the top over all other windows,

can you please try to add like that option in the next update, its make more easier for us

regards

• @lyad,

Its already there, either hit command O or click on the open in separate window button on the item details.

This discussion has been closed.