Update to 7.2.4 removed Safari extension, can't reinstall a version that works.

Bill_Walker
Bill_Walker
Community Member

I'm running Mojave 10.14.2 on a 2012 MacBook Air, with Safari 12.0.2. I have a 1Password 7 subscription. This morning, 1Password auto-updated to 7.2.4, while Safari was open. After the update, the 1Password Extension was no longer installed in Safari. I went to 1Password, chose "Install Browser Extensions..." from the 1Password menu, and it took me to the downloads page at https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers. I installed the extension from there. It shows version 4.7.3. I would have thought it would be 7.something. At any rate, when I try to use it, it's unable to connect to the 1Password app (it brings up this page: https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html, asks for permission to open 1Password (even though it's open), and I grant it. I get switched to 1Password, and the web page says it couldn't connect.

Further, when I ask 1Password 7.2.4 to check for updates, nothing happens, as far as I can tell.

I tried quitting Safari and 1Password and rebooting the computer, and get the same results. So, this update has rendered 1Password nearly useless on my Mac.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @Bill_Walker,

You definitely do not want to install the extension from the browsers page. There is no externally installable extension for Safari anymore. The Safari App Extension is part of the main 1Password application. You'll need to manually uninstall the 4.7.3 version and restart your computer to clear it out completely so that Safari can properly detect the one that is part of 1Password (as of 7.2).

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

Then why did "Install Browser Extensions..." take me to that page?

• @Bill_Walker,

Its a valid page for the Chrome and Firefox browser extensions, but I agree, having the Safari extension show up there only adds to confusion.

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

OK, tried that. Uninstalled extension from Safari, quit Safari, quit 1Password, rebooted, launched and unlocked 1Password, launched Safari, I've got no 1Password icon in the Safari tool bar and no 1Password Extension shown in the list of Extensions in Preferences. Nor is there a 1Password icon available when I try to customize the toolbar.

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

Do I need to try "Install Browser Extensions..." again? Or have we reached the point where I need to uninstall/reinstall the whole 1Password app?

• @Bill_Walker,

and 1Password is in the root level /Applications folder?

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

Yes.

• @Bill_Walker,

Can you send in a diagnostics report using the instructions on https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ ?

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

And the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app failed to create a mail message. Here's the error message on that:

Unable to automatically create a Mail message. Please drag and drop the report icon into Mail and send it to support@agilebits.com.

Error: Error Domain=1PTroubleshooting Code=100 "Error emailing Diagnostics Report: {
    NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Mail;
    NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = "-1743";
    NSAppleScriptErrorRange = "NSRange: {58, 320}";
    }" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error emailing Diagnostics Report: {
    NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Mail;
    NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Not authorized to send Apple events to Mail.";
    NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = "-1743";
    NSAppleScriptErrorRange = "NSRange: {58, 320}";
    }}

Now I'll just go figure out where it put the report, since nothing has told me that. Hmm. I can't find anything new in my Desktop, Documents or Downloads folders. I've also tried dragging the icon on the Diagnostic Report page, but that doesn't work, either. I tried both dragging it to the Mail app icon in the Dock, and dragging it onto an open new message. Can you tell me where to find the report file? Is it inside the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app package somewhere?

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

I just noticed the web page for diagnostics said to drag the report icon to the desktop. Tried that, no report on the desktop. I'm going to try quitting the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app and generating a new report.

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

OK, running the report again and dragging it to the desktop before trying to automatically generate mail worked. Report sent.

• @Bill_Walker,

From the report it looks like the Info.plist inside of the App Extension doesn't match what it should be. Can you drag /Applications/1Password 7.app to the trash and re-install from the pkg installer on https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7 ?

The signature of the 1Password 7.app has to be completely intact in order for Safari to allow the App Extension to load. Unfortunately when its in that state Safari doesn't give any indication that this is the problem (short of not displaying the extension at all).

• Bill_Walker
    Bill_Walker
    Community Member

That's done the trick. Thanks, Rudy!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of **Rudy, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.