Is there any way to reduce the animation lag on CMD + \?

hotpancakes
hotpancakes
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

I use 1Password with a TouchID-enabled MacBook Pro. I <3 1P, but one of my pet peeves is the animation lag after pressing Command + \ and using my fingerprint. It may not seem excessive when observed in isolation, but after doing this many times per day, it starts to get grating. Is there any way to make the Command + \, wait for animation, <press finger>, wait for animation process a little bit faster?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hotpancakes: I'm not sure what you mean by "animation". If you're referring to the actual Touch ID prompt, that's all handled by the OS, so it isn't something we can change.

• hotpancakes
    hotpancakes
    Community Member

@brenty There are several animations that appear in the 1P UI (not the TouchID UI) after pressing Command + . The fingerprint image shows a horizontal line animating downward, then the user is prompted by Apple's TouchID UI, then the fingerprint image animates upward, and finally the 1Password vault animates the top and bottom halves pulling away from one another. It only takes a second, but this lag becomes annoying when one is using 1P w/ TouchID many times per day. Additionally, from what I recall, it takes significantly longer than in the previous version of 1P.

Even though this is really annoying, I also want to say thanks for making + supporting such a wonderful piece of software. I don't know what I'd do without it. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hotpancakes: Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that 1Password is an important enough part of your workflow that you can find it annoying --- although obviously we'd prefer it be important to you without annoying you. ;)

In that spirit, I think there's something odd going on in your case, though I don't know what it is at this point. When you said "The fingerprint image shows a horizontal line animating downward" I literally had no idea what you were referring to. I'm sure one of our designers here would, but I will confess I never noticed this myself until now. It sounds like this is happening much more slowly on your Mac than it is here, because I spent some time locking and unlocking 1Password repeatedly before I saw what you meant; it just happens pretty fast for me, and I think I've been missing it entirely since at that point I'm usually looking at the Touch ID sensor as I reach for it (to me it seems tiny, with my fat fingers). And as far as the unlock part after that, it actually seems slightly faster to me when using Touch ID compared to unlocking after entering the Master Password. It's close enough though that I could be wrong about that, and it also may vary. I can't say definitively. What I can say though is that what you're describing doesn't sound like what I experience with Touch ID and 1Password 7, or that of most customers I've heard from since it was released.

That said, it will almost certainly take longer than 1Password 6 did, because we're using Apple's Secure Enclave for Touch ID in version 7 for additional security, where version 6 did not. I would, however, like to investigate this with you further to identify any problems and see what we can do to improve it for you. Would you be able to record a video (without exposing anything sensitive) of what you experience in typical use? If so, we'll make arrangements for you to send that via email along with some diagnostic information. If that's doable, please generate the report after making the recording, and send both so that we can compare:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send them to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#NRD-48887-417]

If you’re reading this and you are not hotpancakes, this Support ID is for hotpancakes only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. I appreciate any additional info you can provide. Thanks in advance!

ref: NRD-48887-417

This discussion has been closed.