Extension version confusion

This discussion was created from comments split from: Safari Browser extension broken.

Comments

• Michael42
    Michael42
    Community Member

Please help me
    I am soooo frustrated trying to remove everything to do with 1Password7, it is like a cancer in my Macbook Pro.
    I have follower all the suggestions above numerous times but to no avail.
    I have a 1Password5 account/order 10474112 last updated June 2018. I cannot get the Safari extension for 1 PW Version 6, it always gives me V 7 which I Don't want.
    I drag the 1PW7 from my Applications folder to trash and look in trash and it is not there, trash is empty but it has remained in the Applications folder. Grrr
    Activity monitor does not show 1PW7 App there after I have Quit it several times after it keeps reappearing BUT the 1Password Agent cannot be quit, it keeps reappearing even after shut downs etc Grrr
    PLEASE help me rid 1PW7 from my computer so I can use 1PW6 and install the Safari Extension, please, please

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I think you need ctl-option-cmd-Q rather than just cmd-Q to quit 1PW COMPLetely.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Michael42! I'm sorry for the trouble. To begin with there is no "version 6" of our extension, or "version 7." Until recently, our Safari extension was numbered separately (and downloaded separately) from the main 1Password app. The current version of that extension is 4.7.3.90. In macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and Safari 12, Apple switched to a new extension format called Safari App Extensions. We adopted this format in 1Password in version 7.2, so if you have version 7.2 or later installed, you'll get the newer extension which is indeed numbered the same as the app version.

I agree with @danco that if you want to remove version 7, you'll first need to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and also quit Safari. Then delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. You should then be able to install version 6 and download the older-style 4.7.3.90 extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery.

This discussion has been closed.