Mistakenly "upgraded" to OPVAULT version, want to revert, can't find old vault

MZ123
MZ123
Community Member

So I've been getting nagging reminders on my Android that I need to "upgrade" to the new OPVAULT version. Fine. I figured this meant I'd need to pay for an updated WIndows version. Also fine.

Then I found that this would require a lifetime commitment of monthly billing, which is NOT fine.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android version, and tried to find the vault in Dropbox. I went to a folder named /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain, and tried navigating to each of the lower-level folders, and no matter what I did, I got an error saying there was no 1Password vault found.

When I look at that folder directly in Dropbox, I see 1Password.html, AgileKeychain.ico, and desktop.ini. None of these are correct, of course.

I created a fake logon using the existing desktop version, and a file was created in the /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain/data/default folder, so I know something is still there.

Some threads from 2017 claim that a one-time fee is still an option but it's really, really not recommended unless you are up to the task of configuring it yourself. I'm reasonably tech-savvy and am not especially daunted by this, and I hate Hate HATE how everything is going to a pay-forever model.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So I've been getting nagging reminders on my Android that I need to "upgrade" to the new OPVAULT version. Fine. I figured this meant I'd need to pay for an updated WIndows version. Also fine.

@MZ123: Untrue. The previous version of 1Password for Windows also supports OPVault.

Then I found that this would require a lifetime commitment of monthly billing, which is NOT fine.

Also untrue. You can find pricing and other details in the announcement detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android version, and tried to find the vault in Dropbox. I went to a folder named /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain, and tried navigating to each of the lower-level folders, and no matter what I did, I got an error saying there was no 1Password vault found. When I look at that folder directly in Dropbox, I see 1Password.html, AgileKeychain.ico, and desktop.ini. None of these are correct, of course. I created a fake logon using the existing desktop version, and a file was created in the /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain/data/default folder, so I know something is still there.

If you rename it to .agilekeychain, it will work. But 1Password 7 uses only OPVault, so you'd still need to convert to the newer format.

Some threads from 2017 claim that a one-time fee is still an option but it's really, really not recommended unless you are up to the task of configuring it yourself. I'm reasonably tech-savvy and am not especially daunted by this, and I hate Hate HATE how everything is going to a pay-forever model.

Then buy a license for the new version or continue using the old one. :)

• MZ123
    MZ123
    Community Member

"Also untrue. You can find pricing and other details in the announcement detailing what's new:"

Aha - finally found out how to do the one-time purchase: I had to log out of my account locally, then it offered me that option. I've now got it all sorted out.

As far as I can tell, the features associated with the ongoing subscription are not really worth it to me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, 1Password doesn't prompt you to buy a license when you're signed into an account, as it's included in the membership. In most cases, it would be undesirable for someone with a membership to also purchase a license. Anyway, I'm glad you found what works for you. If you're okay with purchasing each version separately and don't want the secure sharing, web, or travel features and are comfortable syncing your own data, a license may do the trick for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.