Can't Find Global Unlock

Options

The documentation states:

"Global unlock

"In Windows, 1Password and your browsers run in separate processes, and the locked/unlocked status is associated with individual processes. Closing 1Password for Windows or closing the last Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer window “kills” the associated process, which normally locks your 1Password data for access from that process; hence, restarting 1Password for Windows or either of the browsers requires unlocking the 1Password data again.

"New: You can override this security measure by enabling the Keep extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences."

I am running Windows 7 and I am unable to find the "Keep extensions unlocked" option on the Browsers tap of my 1P preferences. I would like to use it. Where did you hide it?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, @dickflanagan—the user's guide has been allowed to get a little outdated in a few places. Updates to the browser extensions mean the global unlock feature is available in Internet Explorer only; for that reason, you'll find it moved to the IE tab of 1Password preferences.

We're working to update the documentation with the release of 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• dickflanagan
    dickflanagan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I hope you will be able to make it available for Firefox users as well.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We never say "never," but given that the non-IE extensions included with 1Password 4 for Windows will be shared with 1Password 4 for Mac, I'm not sure how soon (or even whether) that will prove to be possible.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope you will be able to make it available for Firefox users as well

Starting with 1Password 4, all web browsers (including Firefox) will remain unlocked until auto-lock kicks in (or you specifically lock them).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

To focus on the "global unlock" feature:

• Will unlocking the main 1Password program also unlock the browser extensions?

• Will the browser extensions and the main program all auto-lock at the same time?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Will unlocking the main 1Password program also unlock the browser extensions?

Yes, IF you have turned on this new setting in 1Password 4: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers > "unlock automatically when application is unlocked"

Will the browser extensions and the main program all auto-lock at the same time?

No. As long as there is mouse or keyboard activity in the web browser (or the main app), then it won't auto-lock.

However, they do auto-lock at the same time if...

1. there has not been any mouse or keyboard activity on your PC at all, or
    2. your screen saver is activated, or
    3. your computer is locked
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Will the browser extensions and the main program all auto-lock at the same time?

No. As long as there is mouse or keyboard activity in the web browser (or the main app), then it won't auto-lock.

However, they do auto-lock at the same time if...

1. there has not been any mouse or keyboard activity on your PC at all, or
    2. your screen saver is activated, or
    3. your computer is locked

So, yes, assuming you've selected one or more of those options, they will all auto-lock at the same time, because auto-lock only kicks in when conditions match whichever of those three options you've selected.

My question was really aimed at determining whether the extensions and the main program use a single auto-lock inactivity timer, and your answer seems to confirm that.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.