Basic questions

Options

I'm evaluating 1Password on a Mac and want to try out the app on my Android.

1. I'm trying to decide between synching to an Android through Dropbox vs. an SD card. Is the advantage of using Dropbox just the convenience of being easier to synch? OR is there some other reason to use Dropbox over an SD card?

2. What are the green and yellow horizontal bars underneath my passwords indicating? Are these indicating 1Password's opinion on how strong my passwords are?

3. If I start entering info using 1Password for my Mac downloaded from this website, can I later switch to 1Password from the Mac App store? Will the database file import/export from one version to the other?

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for trying 1Password, @kathayes!

1. Dropbox syncing is automatic and secure. There is nothing to remember (or forget). You would need to manually copy a new version of your data file to the SD card every time you made a change. The option is available, but I don't know why anyone would choose it. :)

2. Yep, that is the password strength meter. It is only an approximation, but it can be helpful to see at a glance which passwords need to be replaced using the strong password generator.

3. Yes, there is not really any difference. You can use the free trial from the website and purchase on the Mac App Store. Just drag the trial to the trash before installing from the Mac App Store. Your data is stored separately, so it will not be harmed.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• cnd888
    cnd888
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. Just got 1pw, so far loving it.

I too am trying to make the same decision. I am concern about the security of my data. If I use Dropbox my data is in the cloud. Yes I know it is encrypted and all that, and maybe I am just too ignorant about encryption, but it just feels wrong having that data sitting on some random server in some random place in the world. If I use the SD card, which I guess was probably offered in the first place as an option for people like me, at least I have physical control over that data. My question is - what happens if I lose my phone with my SD card in it? Is that data now available to anyone who finds it? Or is it encrypted on the SD card too?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cnd888,

I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

My question is - what happens if I lose my phone with my SD card in it? Is that data now available to anyone who finds it? Or is it encrypted on the SD card too?

Your data is encrypted with the same encryption whether you use Dropbox or an SD card. :)

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here for you if you need any further clarification!

This discussion has been closed.