New User - Trial Download - Import Issues.

Options
2»

Comments

• rattlesnakeshake
    rattlesnakeshake
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk

I will always offer a rather cynical comment when I hear something about "smart" in connection with computers. Just can't help it... After all, in this day and age, it's still the software developers / software engineers who put the "smart" into whatever piece of software anyone might use.

Some more good news: I managed to import approx. 280 Firefox login records into 1Password 4.2.2. Basically, I exported the passwords to a CSV file using "Password Exporter 1.2.1" (a Firefox add-on), then post-processed them in BareBones "TextWrangler" (basically a hell lot a "grep"ing). If I feel adventurous, I might come up with a detailed instruction.

Now I'm fighting with a new problem: Dropbox syncing does not seem to work anymore on the iOS side. The Mac side syncs the data "up" correctly (according to both 1Password and Dropbox), but both my iPhone and 1PasswordAnywhere hiccup badly...

...so, I gotta dive back down, talk to you soon

rattlesnakeshake (aka Mike)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

FYI: It would be faster to open the CSV in a spreadsheet and just organize (and combine) the columns according to the order:

title location username password notes

and then save again as CSV. IP4 will then import it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mike (aka @rattlesnakeshake). :)

I know what you mean about how usage context of certain words can evoke a cynical reaction. Ones that do it for me are when "just" and "only" seem ridiculous before item pricing, like "starts at just $600 a month" for a car lease or the cost of every advertised item in a flyer is "only $$$".

As @MrC and the import guide suggest:

If the data you have is not in this [correct column] order, you can use a spreadsheet program such as Numbers or Excel to open the CSV file and rearrange the columns into the proper order.

I've had no trouble using Numbers to do it.

A recent 1PasswordAnywhere issue has been resolved. Have you tried disabling and reenabling Dropbox syncing in 1Password for iOS to get that working again and are you running version 4.5.1? If it continues to be a problem you might want to start a specific topic about that in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

• rattlesnakeshake
    rattlesnakeshake
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrC

in my case, no; a spreadsheet application will not do the trick as easily. I tried that approach as well. It's not just the sequence of the individual fields of a record that I need adjusted, I needed the fields delimited properly (in my case I went with quotation marks) and I needed the "title" field properly constructed/derived from the "location" field and other string adjustments as well.

All these things are (of course, imho only /:) ) much easier done in TextWrangler (using grep) than e.g. in Excel (with some cell formulas or VBA scripts). As I said, I got the job done, but I doubt an average user without some grep know-how would have succeeded.

So, to make a long story short: I'm basically telling the AgileBits team/crew that they need to get their "import tools up to snuff" :D. Not that they don't know it... ;)

• rattlesnakeshake
    rattlesnakeshake
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk

I did get Dropbox syncing to work again. I took a look at this thread , specifically at Megan's guide in #2. However, that did not completely solve the problem for me (it seemed). Dropbox on the Mac (v2.6.31), 1Password 4 for Mac (v4.4 / 440002) and 1Password 4 for iOS (v4.5.1) were/are at their latest versions. Only iOS was at 7.1, and not at 7.1.1.

So I updated the iOS and opened 1Password 4 on the iOS again. I went to «Settings --> Sync» and chose «Dropbox». This time, when I clicked, I was able to choose my vault (as in «Step 4, If you already have 1Password data in Dropbox…» of the sync guide here). Last time I tried, choosing the vault was not possible. I see two explanations:

• I didn't notice it or didn't notice I could have actually clicked on a piece of text (usability of the iOS did not get better lately) or
    • something changed (for the better) when I upgraded from iOS 7.1 to iOS 7.1.1

I frankly don't know, maybe it was me...

Anyhow, everything back to working wonderfully! :)>-
    Yippie-i-eh! <:-P

Cheers

Mike (aka rattlesnakeshake)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi there, rattlesnakeshake,

Are you saying that Password Exporter 1.2.1 did not properly CSV-ify your data? I saw that it double quoted all fields, but perhaps it did not correctly escape double quotes within a string (I didn't check that). You said "I needed the fields delimited properly" which leads me to believe the exported data from the Password Exporter tool did not do the job correctly.

If it does properly CSV-ify the data, I'm confused as to why you needed to use question mark as your separator, and how you went about replacing the comma separator the export tool uses with question mark.

With properly CSV-ified data, any spreadsheet will allow you to correctly import the data into columns, move the column data into the proper order, and merge column contents (no Excel-VBA required).

At any rate, I wonder how many people could use a better conversion tool for Firefox passwords.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mike @rattlesnakeshake,

I'm glad to hear 1Password on iOS is successfully syncing your data with Dropbox now. Let's hope the earlier trouble, whatever its cause, was only temporary and everything continues running wonderfully with the importing issues behind you now, too. :)

Let us know if any else comes up that we help you with. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.