Trouble migrating data from version 3 to version 4 [resolved; chose correct version 3]

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited May 2014 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to sync from 1Password 4 Mac to 1Password 3 iOS.

Comments

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member
    Options

ARRRGH ... just "upgraded" to 1P4 on my iPhone and running 1P 3.x on my Desktop. I tried opening 1P on the phone, was asked if I wanted to import data from 1P 3. Well, yes, I do. But, it's a synch mess. At this point, I don't know which witch is which and synch doesn't work -- in any direction, no matter. The 1P4 on the phone has been "authenticating" for the last 20 minutes.

Terrible. I hope you're not going to tell me that I need 1P4 on my computer for it to work ... especially after getting messages asking if I'd like to import data from 1P3.

Should I wait until tomorrow to see if it ever finishes "authenticating?"

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I've calmed down :-)

In my last post, I was already starting to get desperate and frustrated, trying to synch every which way. BEFORE that, however, I opened 1P4 on my iPhone, which detected a 1P3 version. I chose "I've used 1Password before and then given an option to import data from version 3 ... which I chose. Then, I was told to "Open 1Password 3." Great. I opened 1P3. Then I was given an option to "Import into new [the new] 1Password."

Then, 3 icons appeared from which to choose: Mail, Open in 1Password, and "copy." I choose "Open in [the new] 1Password." I'm asked for my Master Password. And THEN I get ... "Authenticating ..."

"Authenticating ..."

"Authenticating ..."

etc ...

So, it's broken AND/OR I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone? :-)

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member
    Options

In that great tradition of "the squeaky wheel, I'm looking for a little oil to get things moving with IOS 1P4 ... which I downloaded yesterday and can't use ... as follows to support, urgent support, and in another thread here:

I just downloaded and installed 1P4 for my iPhone (4) — but unable to use it:

I open 1P4 on my iPhone, which detects a 1P3 version. I choose "I've used 1Password before" and then I’m given an option to import data from version 3 ... which I choose. Then, I'm told to "Open 1Password 3." Great. I open 1P3. Then I'm given an option to "Import into [the new] 1Password."
    Then, 3 icons appear from which I’m to choose: Mail, Open in 1Password, and "copy." I choose "Open in [the new] 1Password." I'm asked for my Master Password. And THEN I get ... "Authenticating ..." "Authenticating ..." "Authenticating ..." etc ...

So, it's broken AND/OR I'm doing something wrong.

What’s up? Importantly, can you advise :-)

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @junnny‌

I do apologize for the trouble here. I certainly don't blame you for feeling frustrated. It sounds like you're doing everything right here. Let's try starting over with a fresh copy of 1Password 4 for iOS.

To start fresh, please try:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and import from previous version.

This should behave better for you!

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply ... BUT, I don't think 1P is behaving any better ... unless it's supposed to take forever to "authenticate." Just what am I "authenticating." I used the same Master Password I used for 1P3 on the import, and it's stuck in "Authenticating..." Just where is the data import coming from? I thought it would take it from some data file on in 1P3, which is on my phone.

In any case, I deleted 1P4 as you instructed, restarted my iPhone, opened the App Store and re-downloaded and opened 1P4. I hit "I've Used 1Password Before" and tried to import from my previous version -- got those three icons, hit the 1P4 icon, entered my Master Password, and ...
    "Authenticating ..." for the last 15 minutes at this point.

Is that what's supposed to happen? :-)

Again -- something is broken AND/OR I'm doing something wrong.

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member
    Options

OK -- you should be the first to know ... I kept on keeping on re-downloading, re-launching, re-importing, re-synching ... and finally, the new IOS 1P4 opened with (it appears) my data.

Whew! :-)

I think the problem was that I had two 1P3s on my phone and 1p4 kept on looking at the "wrong" version ... or something. I searched all 1Ps after quitting everything and launched each -- one at a time -- and the second 1P3 on my list "exported" to 1P4. I have no idea if this is what was holding up the works, but I'm looking at a page of categories.

So, thanks for your assistance. I'll leave you in peace :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Hi @junnny,

I've merged your comments from Syncing not working on iMac, iPad and iPhone after 4.4 update so your issue and its resolution are all under one umbrella now. :)

I'm so glad to hear that you've been able successfully migrate your data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 on iOS! Good detective work to discover another version 3 that was mistakenly getting higher priority during that process.

If we can assist you with anything else please let us know.
  • Ale2014
    Ale2014
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem, but apparently only one 1P version 3.7.2. How should i proceed in order to import the data.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ale2014‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble migrating your data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4. I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble with import. We've created a video for the iPhone and the iPad to demonstrate the process.

If you are not seeing the pop-up to migrate your data into 1Password 4, there's a chance you may have previously dismissed it. (This is a one-time pop-up.) If that is the case, we'll need to do a bit of fancy footwork to get you data transferred. Please refer to the steps in this post.

This should get you all sorted out, but if you have any trouble with these steps, please let us know, and we'll investigate further. :)

This discussion has been closed.