Items in vault copied from Mac appear all blank in Win 1p4

Options
CappyD
CappyD
Community Member
edited June 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I just installed the new 1Password 4 for Windows and copied (via a USB drive) the vault folder from my Mac (running current 1p4) to Windows. I did this repeatedly to update my vault for v1 on Windows and all was well. 1p4 on Windows opens the vault just fine, but all items (logins, secure notes, .. everything) are blank except for the item name (and URL in logins). Oddly, if I have it open a login, it does it successfully either from 1p4 itself or from the Chrome extension (4.2.1.90 - the info for which in the Chrome web store says "requires 1Password 4 for Mac" - no mention of Windows). The extension can show the username and password if i right-click on a login. Why can't 1p4 on Windows display all the item contents from the vault copied from the Mac and how to fix?

Also, I used it to create a login (for these forums actually), which it did and it can be seen in the extension. But the new login is nowhere to be found in the 1p4 application.

Update1: If I open my previous vault file (also copied from Mac via USB), it opens in Win 1p4 and the item contents display fine.

Update2: More oddness... I closed the old vault and reopened the new one and now item contents display, and the new login for these forums now is findable. But only a seemingly random subset of the items in the logins list show a bar in the Password strength field.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options
    • What sync method do you have enabled in 1Password for Mac? (I believe Dropbox and Folder sync are the only two 1Password for Mac options that create the necessary .agilekeychain folder for copying to your PC.)

Note: Manually copying data from the Mac to the PC is not syncing. :( Why not use Dropbox?

• Please install the extension for Chrome by clicking the appropriate button on the Browsers tab of preferences in the main 1Password program.

• If you create a Login item in the main program, does it show up in the extension for Chrome?

We'll figure out what's going on and get things working for you, @CappyD.

• CappyD
    CappyD
    Community Member
    Options

I reopened 1p4 again and now the password strength bars are fully populated, so things look pretty good now. It's almost like it just took 1p4 some time to get to everything. Anyway, I went ahead and removed the old v3 extension and the v4 extension that I installed from the chrome web store, and did a proper install of the extension install from the prefs/browsers window. Of course, it just reinstalled the extension I had which is fine. To answer your questions, I used folder sync on my Mac to put the vault on a USB key and then copied that to the location on Windows where 1p4 looks for it. As I mentioned in an update above, the login I created finally showed up in 1p4 as well as the extension. So, I think I'm good. Thanks for your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That’s great news, @CappyD—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.